missing or currupt pci.sys

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
Ok i am having the same problem as in the tread below but i have encountered more.

http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62809&highlight=pci.sys

I located the pci.sy_ file on the win 2000 cd and copied and renamed it to c: When i try to copy it to c:\winnt\system32\drivers i get an access denied.

When i try and do a cd c:\winnt or any cd command for that matter i get the access denied.

There is a bios password that i enter correctly before going into the recovery console but i would not see how that would matter at all since you are past that point.

i tried to do the attrib command but i dont feel i used it correctly. is it possible that he c:\winnt is set to read only. When i hit dir c:\ it shows the attributes of the winnt folder as da for directory and ready for archive

Perhaps there is an administrative password for the computer (this is not my computer but the computer at a friends work) but it never askes me to enter one.

I am really at a stand still with this problem. I feel that all would be fine if my access to the folder would not be denied.

Any suggestions would be very helpful
Thanks in advance

The reason you get access denied is b/c the file is in use. You need to run a repair on your OS to get that file back... Im pretty sure safe mode won't allow you to copy the file over either.... but you can try.

EDIT : Btw... the answer is on the bottom of that link you posted.

If you have never "Repaired" your os, you may want to google search it. You need to select "Install" before you select repair or you will screw your machine up even more.

yes i did see on the microsoft link that you run a repair after selecting install. I will try that.

No it is not over clocked.

It you may not hear more about this from me till friday as tomorrow i will not have time to work on the computer. but thank you for your input so far. if anyone else has run into this and can offer more info until then it is appreciated

Did you just add a PCI-E device? If so, are you running XP SP2.

This is a common error when trying to do a reload with a copy of XP that does not include SP2 on a machine witha PCI-E device. This might be related to your problem.

Just a shot in the dark. Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom