Missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the help so far.

Currently I'm back on my PC and I think it is stable but I can't access anything on the start menu:

It either says: "The action is only valid for products that are currently installed"

OR

"The parameter is incorrect".

Anyway I can fix this up quickly without manually adding the shortcuts or something?

Actually I realised most of the programs aren't recognised/installed(?) when I tried to run a video as seen below...

Attachments

• help.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 44
Go to Microsoft's Description of the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility page.Here
Scroll down and click the link Download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package now.
Save the file on your Desktop.
Double-click on the downloaded file to install the Windows Installer Clean Up utility.

To remove traces of your installation from your computer:
Go to Start > Programs > Windows Install Clean Up to launch the Windows Installer Clean Up.
In the dialog that appears, select the installation you want to uninstall.
Click Remove.
Launch Windows Explorer by pressing Windows key + E or select Start > Explore.
Go to the location where the installation has installed the files, usually C:\Program Files\NameofCompanyorApplication, and manually delete them. To do this, select all the files (Ctrl +A or Edit > Select All) and hit the Delete key.

When installing an application for the first time
Error 1605 occurs when the installation thinks that the application has already been installed once on your computer. This causes the installation to run in Maintenance mode; however, it fails in the process because a previous instance of this installation does not exist on your computer. One of the reasons why this happens is because a property called REINSTALLMODE has been set incorrectly within the installation. Follow these steps to run the installation with the correct REINSTALLMODE property.

Select Start > Run.
In the Open field, type
Windows NT 4.0, 2000. or XP: cmd.exe and click OK.
Windows 95 / 98 or ME: command.com and click OK.
At the MS-DOS prompt, type in the path, or location, of setup.exe along with the REINSTALLMODE property, e.g., <PATH>\setup.exe /V"REINSTALLMODE="omus"

Press Enter. This runs the installation again with the correctly set property.

Install the ISScript engine
Another known solution to this issue is to install the ISScript engine on your computer. To install the ISScript engine, refer to Update to the Latest InstallShield Installation Engines.

ISScript

Hey I've tried installing the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility package a few times and it kept restarting. Now when I finally suceeded and I try to access it on the start menu - I cannot reach the file as it says "Window Explorer has enocuntered a problem and needs to close". Hopefully when I restart the PC, i'll be able to access All Programs and launch the file.

I am unsure about what to delete though...

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom