MIRC at Startup! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default MIRC at Startup!

Hi!
I've got a Windows 2000 machine that keeps starting MIRC on startup, and I think it got there through Kazaa. However, it's not in the Add/Remove programs list. Norton antivirus (latest definitions) doesn't detect anything wrong. I've completely removed Kazaa and every program I could find that it has installed. I've checked the startup items in the registry and there's nothing unusual. In fact, I searched the registry and hard drive and removed every trace of MIRC I could find. I've also run Spybot and Adaware, removing everything that it found. I'm at at my wit's end here! Does anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks a million!
-Dan

Old 01-22-2004, 08:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to param4u

Hey Dan, I think that you must have already taken care of the Run, RunOnce, RunServices in the registry and also you must have taken care of the startup files from msconfig....

What I can suggest you is that there is a simple logic, as you said that the system starts the MIRC - which means that the program file has got to be there somewhere on the system - Just search for mirc32.exe or mirc.exe and delete the same - hope this works or else if this does not help you then the mirc would be integrated into something else that would be probably difficult to get to - but HijackThis will help then... lets hope 4 the best!!

Old 01-22-2004, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
HONK if you route packets

Yea, totally agree.....also....you may just want to take a screen shot of your registry entries in this location. Some of these virus-related/adware related tend to disguise themselves as system services....only difference is that they will add a "_" or something like that.
Post a screen shot and we can give you a good inclination of what processes you do not need to be running.

-Mike
Old 01-23-2004, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to T1junkie

check the contents of your startup folder and check the msconfig startup options
80 GB Ultra ATA, 5400 RPM
14.1\" LCD
Windows XP Pro
DVD-R
64MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300
Integrated 802.11A/B/G, Bluetooth, 10/100/1000 Eth.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

2000 doesn't have msconfig by default.....Dan would have to copy it and place it into the system root\system32 folder...

http://www.evozero.gamma.timdorr.com.../s_startup.htm

-Mike

(Let me know if the pictures aren't showing up)
Old 01-23-2004, 01:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

You're right, it doesn't. I don't have the particular computer in front of me, and won't be back to work on it until tomorrow, but I'll take these ideas with me, and if I don't fix it, I'll let you know and post a screen shot. Thanks guys!
-Dan
Old 01-26-2004, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Problem solved and here's what I found. HiJackThis, Adaware, Spybot, and Norton never detected the file running from startup. MIRC was cleverly disquised in the \winnt\system32 folder as task32.exe, which I THOUGHT was a legitimate file. It was only after I dowloaded MSCONFIG and started disabling services and startup items that I narrowed it down to that file.
Thanks for all of your help!
-Dan
Old 01-26-2004, 11:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Yup, seen that one before....glad you were able to catch it!

-Mike
Old 01-26-2004, 10:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to who.cares

read my post, nice little program about startup (i think thats what it is called)

POST 30!!!!

Closed Thread