Migrating to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikkileigh

Beta member
I'm currently using Windows ME (no laughing please) and I've purchased the full version of XP. Can anyone let me know of known problems or things I should be aware of before I install XP?

Just compatability issues you may encounter. I would run the compatability wizard before you upgrade. When you put the CD in it should come up with the option and will tell you what things might not work.

Moving to XP from Me

Hi, Just done this deed myself. Key points:-

1. Must unload all antivirus software esp. Norton AntiVirus
2. If possible clean boot from the XP CD, but this means backing up all your important files and re-loading programmes. Does give a more stable system.
3. Don't activate until your sure all is working well, you have 30 days to activate.
4. If your hard disk is > 20Gb consider using NTFS file system. But stick to FAT32 generally.
5. XP is a massive improvement over Me

JavaJoe

Originally posted by javajoe
4. If your hard disk is > 20Gb consider using NTFS file system. But stick to FAT32 generally.

I have one suggestion about NTFS.. if you want to make the overall performance of your machine better (i.e. skipping checkdisk on reboots) then definately go NTFS. Its just the way to go.

and also,very important...
Download ALL the critical updates when you get the machine activated and all. There are some nasty vulnerabilites out there.

And last, but not least, disable the remote assistance feature.. it'll keep hackers out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom