A middle man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rigard

Baseband Member
Okay is there something in between Admin and Limted in XP Home, I know there is nothing actually in Windows, but is there a plugin or somit?

Well it does my head in the limiations of Limted and the Secrity Issues with Admin. I meen I'm not stupid with secruity, I use 2 antivirus softwares, Zone Alarm Firewall, Hardware Firewall, and Spyware Software. As well as common sense, butany how my legthy explanation *blushes*

Well in XP Home there Is Limited and Admin accounts. (Not sure in Pro.) Well I'm looking for something in the middle of the two, so something with less rights than admin but more than Limited.

OK, Well in XP Pro you have these users:

Administrators have complete and unrestricted access to the computer/domain

Backup Operators can override security restrictions for the sole purpose of backing up or restoring files

Guests have the same access as members of the Users group by default, except for the Guest account which is further restricted

Network Configuration Operators: Members in this group can have some administrative privileges to manage configuration of networking features

Power Users possess most administrative powers with some restrictions. Thus, Power Users can run legacy applications in addition to certified applications

Remote Desktop Users Members in this group are granted the right to logon remotely

Replicator Supports file replication in a domain

Users: Users are prevented from making accidental or intentional system-wide changes. Thus, Users can run certified applications, but not most legacy applications

Debugger users can debug processes on this machine, both locally and remotely

Help Services Group: Group for the Help and Support Center

Ahhh!!!!
I wish I payed £20 extra for Pro now! Is there something similar that I can use in Home, like a plugin?

Try this I'm not sure if it will give you those users or not

there is a hack that can make XP Home to XP Pro Lite....you interested?

I dont post ********...... :)

German computer magazine C'T claims that by changing only 2 bytes from the file setupreg.hiv in Windows's XP Home kit, users can get access to certain functions only avalaible in Windows XP Professional, such as Remote Desktop, User management and enhanced security features. C'T writes in its latest print issue (in German only) that you need to copy the root directory and the i386 directory of the WindowsXP CD to your harddisk, extract the Bootsector of your WindowsXP CD and change only 2 bytes in i386\Setupreg.hiv by using Regedit. In fact all you have to do is edit the binary key "default" and change "01" to "00" and "02" to "00" in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Homekey\ControlSet001\Services\setupdd, C'T claims. There is one big drawback, though. Users won't be able to install Service Pack 2."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom