Microsoft's Windows 8 UI video

Status
Not open for further replies.
if MS would work less on this UI crap and more on getting good features like better security, more recovery options for people getting infected with malware, better performance with hard drives, let the 3rd party themes work without UXTheme hacks, better networking, etc... then people would start to like MS more, but really this is so tiring.

and this metro UI would look downright silly in my house.... I got a dark fancy atmposhere and this interface looks like it belongs in some hipster whitebox "modernist" apartment

and also... we like our "old fashioned" guis they are stable and productive and we are all used to them and have them in muscle memory.... all these **** devs think they have to change them "cause they're bored" is not good! We get good results with our current GUIs.

and also... we like our "old fashioned" guis they are stable and productive and we are all used to them and have them in muscle memory.... all these **** devs think they have to change them "cause they're bored" is not good! We get good results with our current GUIs.
I disagree with this part. We've had the same Start Menu/Task Bar/Task Tray desktop setup since Windows 95. It's time for a change.

remixedcat:1906831 said:
if MS would work less on this UI crap and more on getting good features like better security, more recovery options for people getting infected with malware, better performance with hard drives, let the 3rd party themes work without UXTheme hacks, better networking, etc... then people would start to like MS more, but really this is so tiring.

and this metro UI would look downright silly in my house.... I got a dark fancy atmposhere and this interface looks like it belongs in some hipster whitebox "modernist" apartment

Please tell me how this is possible? The fact is this. You have the biggest userbase in the world. I would love to see anyone even attempt to have software that is used by BILLIONS of people and have it not get hacked or infected with malware. I think it is time people wake up and realize that the fact is it is IMPOSSIBLE to make Windows any more secure than it is. If you don't lime that fact, use OS X or Linux.

As for the GUI, maybe if people actually paid attention and SUBMITTED feedback directly to Microsoft and not griped about on some website such as this that they don't follow, maybe their voice would be heard and maybe listened to so you wouldn't gripe constantly about it. They did this during the Win-win development that they had an open door to suggestions, you ignored it your opinion got ignored. Add into that there is no way you can possibly make the billions of People happy all at the same time. So you must pick and choose by which is the most popular.

People must seriously forget or not understand that they are not making Windows to make you personally happy. It is for the entire world and it is held under the microscope of every person in the world. There is no chance at all for the 60,000 people working at Microsoft to compete with the 6.5 Billion people on the planet. If anyone thinks they can accomplish what Microsoft has, by all means release your own OS and lets see how well it will hold up against every hacker, malware writer and every person who has a different idea where the look should go to.

Simple facts are all that I am stating. It isn't as easy as you seem to think it is to just "secure" the OS against the entire world. Even Apple is showing how hard it is with their infection rate climbing higher than ever.

I think we need to change the GUI. Do you really want to continue using the same interface since win95? The reason they change the GUI is to be more productive. You used to have to click on three or four buttons to open a program - now you can place it on your task bar and launch it with one click. The GUI will be ever changing and should be because people's use of windows will change over time.

we all have things in muscle memory, do you want to start paying extra for services due to the wasted dollars businesses would throw away retraining people in new UIs?

you know why they haven't changed this UI we've got now... it just works!

and I'd rather have a usable and stable "boring" UI and OS then some flashy and unstable OS that I gotta re-adjust to all over again....

and to us real pros that metro UI looks silly. **** I'd say macosx is way better then that metro concept. metro meant for consumers and not creators...

Plus tiles belong on the floor and not on an OS.

I've heard nothing about them wanting opinions, in fact, every time I've heard anything at all about Windows 8 it was all listed as speculation, rumors or leaked maybes. As far as I can tell it looks like they have hand picked some bean counters to tell them Smartphones are all the rage so they need to make everything operate like one. I won't be using that feature. I don't see the Cloud Computing as a feature I'll be using either. I'd be more than happy to give them some feedback but it's hard to do when they won't let me see or try it.

Right now I just don't see myself wasting the money.

The reason they change the GUI is to be more productive. You used to have to click on three or four buttons to open a program - now you can place it on your task bar and launch it with one click. The GUI will be ever changing and should be because people's use of windows will change over time.

Where have you been? I've been opening programs with a single click for years. What I just saw in that video was a lot of scrolling which is a lot more work than clicking an icon on my Desktop or Taskbar.

They just want to merge their tablet OS with the home pc OS. I'm really not gonna get this unless there is an option to use a more standard layout, which is likely.

I pray they don't expect people to like this as the main interface of the PC, I don't have a touch screen monitor, ****, I don't even have a widescreen. Touch screen for gaming? No thanks. I saw that you could get to the old GUI in a part of the video, but, I am REALLY praying this is something like Media Center in the end.

it is IMPOSSIBLE to make Windows any more secure than it is. If you don't lime that fact, use OS X or Linux.
Even Linux can have problems. Last week there was a problem on GNOME-Look where one of the themes was in .deb format. When you ran it and gave it your sudo password, it formatted your whole root partition. They pulled that "theme" pretty quickly, but it just shows that even Linux can be vulnerable to those who aren't watchful.

As for the GUI, maybe if people actually paid attention and SUBMITTED feedback directly to Microsoft and not griped about on some website such as this that they don't follow, maybe their voice would be heard and maybe listened to so you wouldn't gripe constantly about it.
What you're saying is true. But this thread wasn't meant to get anything done at Microsoft. This is just a thread to discuss the video, which we all know is not going to change anything. If this is the wrong place for a discussion on Windows 8, I apologize, and you can move it to Off Topic.

They just want to merge their tablet OS with the home pc OS. I'm really not gonna get this unless there is an option to use a more standard layout, which is likely.
Even in the video, you can see them running Office and it looks like the old style GUI.

I pray they don't expect people to like this as the main interface of the PC, I don't have a touch screen monitor, ****, I don't even have a widescreen. Touch screen for gaming? No thanks. I saw that you could get to the old GUI in a part of the video, but, I am REALLY praying this is something like Media Center in the end.
Supposedly, the OS can detect if you have touch screen or not, and if you don't, it will intelligently translate everything to work better for a keyboard/mouse combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom