Microsoft's Service Agreement

Joe C

Golden Master
We all know that on July 29th Microsoft will offer a free upgrade of Windows 10.
On August 1st Microsoft has a new Service Agreement
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/servicesagreement
This is interesting....
If your Services are canceled or your Microsoft account or Skype account is closed (whether by you or us), a few things happen. First, your right to use the Services stops immediately and your license to use the software related to the Services ends. Second, we'll delete Data or Your Content associated with your Microsoft account
It take's a few minutes to go through the new service agreement but might be worth your while, especially the DRM stuff they added
DRM software may automatically contact an online rights server and download and install DRM updates.

Discuss

Last edited:
Doesn't sound anything but standard stuff to me...nothing really necessary of a conspiracy theory.

"closed whether by your or us" - if you breach the EULA, they can terminate your account.
DRM - sounds about how DRM works for games.

So now with windows 10, M$ can pull your user license if it does not like what your doing, by being connected to one of their servers? (you do not get a COA sticker with a 10 upgrade, in fact you do not get a key either. It's going to be "auto installed") and delete all your "cloud data" that you are using with M$ cloud program?
I don't recall Windows connecting to an online rights DRM server to check to see if your watching a valid video

Last edited:
If you're breaking the EULA or TOS, yes they have a right to revoke your license. It's their service. They're not going to arbitrarily pull your license for "something they don't like you doing" unless it's actually violating something you agreed to when you installed the software.

Nothing too ominous in that agreement, if Microsoft catch you doing something illegal with their software, they're well in their right to revoke your right to use it.

Don't get caught!

Is fair rights illegal?
Will I be able to make a back up of my favorite dvd using Windows 10 or will I get a message that my Any DVD software is illegal and M$ breaks it or revokes my windows license?

Getting copies of the disc has never been much of an issue since they are usually a 30 day license included with them anyway. The issue is with licensing.

I'm sure he was referring to a DVD in general, like a film or something :p

Ah I misread - I thought it said "dvd of WIndows 10"

The "backing up your own DVD's" is still a grey area - it was originally allowed, then disallowed, and went back and forth...and not sure what state it's in now.

Back
Top Bottom