Microsoft Volume Licensing?

FuzzyHarpyBug

Solid State Member
I just upgraded 9 computers in my store from XP to Windows 7 Pro using the download from Digital River Content.

What is the most cost effective way for me to license these? I've called the Microsoft Volume Licensing center and they quoted me $113 but told me I would have to re-install on all the computers. I can't take the store down for that long again but the guy on the phone didn't speak English clearly enough to help me find alternatives.

What other options do I have?

I just upgraded 9 computers in my store from XP to Windows 7 Pro using the download from Digital River Content.

but told me I would have to re-install on all the computers. I can't take the store down for that long again.

That would be the only effectiv way to pull this off and yes the microsoft represenative is correct.
If your going from xp to windows 7, the upgrade path wouldn't be a good choice.

Slip streaming your windows 7 installation would be a quick way to get you setup.
Slipstream Windows 7 SP1 into a Installation DVD or ISO File - Windows 7 Help Forums

Download Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool 1.0.24.0
Use windows usb tool to install by usb ports on sata cables it should take less than 30 minutes.
IDE cable using usb installation 40 minutes tops.

Since your running a store and time is crucial, I recommend you have one of your employees or you do this in the middle of the night.

Gotta do what you have to if you got eager customers wanting a windows 7 computer on the shelf. :)

If you have 7 machines needing this and you work on them all at once you should be able to finish within 4 hours tops.
Otherwise it might take half a day or night to update os programs, chipset driver installation, hardware drivers and w7 updates correctly.

Last edited:

What is the most cost effective way for me to license these? I've called the Microsoft Volume Licensing center and they quoted me $113 but told me I would have to re-install on all the computers. I can't take the store down for that long again but the guy on the phone didn't speak English clearly enough to help me find alternatives.

Are the systems just running the trial of Windows 7 right now, or are they already licensed? If they're already licensed, why do you need to switch to Volume Licensing? If they're not licensed already, can you not just type in the VLK that you have (or have you not purchased it yet?)?

If you already have the VLK, and can't just activate the existing installs with the key, and you DO have to reinstall with VLK-compatible media... then that's what you'll have to do.

Are the systems all the same hardware? If so, then this will be extremely easy. You can install the VLK image on a single system, configure it out how you want (i.e. software settings and such), then you can take an image of that install using imaging software such as CloneZilla. Then, on each of the other systems, you can apply that image onto the other systems, pre-configured. The only thing you would have to reconfigure is the computer name for it to connect to your network correctly.

If you had more time, I'd suggest setting up an imaging server with something like FOG (Free Opensource Ghost), then you would be able to deploy images over a network, rather than having to go to each individual machine and apply the images one at a time (unless you had multiple drives to put the source image on).

Those are my suggestions, and IMO are better suited for a business need.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom