Microsoft VB error in Word 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldy

Solid State Member
I've got a user who's getting a very strange error in MS Word. She's running Microsoft Office 2k Pro SR-1. The problem is sporadic so I can't really nail down any given cause for the error. The syntax of the error is...

"System Error &H8000FFFF (-2147418113). Catastrophic failure"

I've searched the web endlessly and found no documentation and only a few people who have experienced this same error, although in other applications...one guy had this in Excel, another in Powerpoint.

I've run a repair and a fresh install of office, run Norton SystemWorks...:mad: Nothing works. She can use Excel, Powerpoint and Access and never get this error. HELP!!!!!!!:angry:

Have you tried to install the 2nd Service pack for Office? I dont know off hand if Office 2k has a 2nd service pack but Office 2003 does.

Other than that i have no idea. I have searched as you have and found nothing useful. Other than maybe a SP2 the only other thing i can think of is Virus. Notron isnt the best to use. Try Avast! it finds stuff Norton doesnt. That and a Malware scan.

If those dont come up with anything than the last thing i can think of is upgrade to Office 2003. Since Office 2007 is in Beta (im testing it myself) and is planned to be released later this year that might not be a bad idea. Office 2k isnt gonna be supported much longer.

I was thinking of upgrading her to 2003...but you know how users get sometimes...lol. I'm at the point where I'm just ready to be done with it though. I'll try the upgrade and let you guys know how it went. Thanks for the help.

Well, she's upgraded to Office 2003 (didn't see the post about sp3 in time). Now it's doing the same thing with a new "Visual Basic-Out of Memory" error. However, I can now open the document...but upon closing it gives the same error...not sure if this is being caused by a hardware malfunction?

No...it's MS Word that's giving the error. She can use Excel, Power Point and Outlook. The error occurs whenever a word document is opened, whether that be through an Outlook attachment or through My Documents or Word...

Thats an Active Directory Service Interfaces error. Its a generic com error. Now just how do we fix it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom