Microsoft and upgrading components ire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helixxxer

Baseband Member
If anything, my anger doesn't come from the insane amount of time researching and buying a new mb and processor for my computer, and the time I spent putting everything in the new case, and the time I took to double check everything to make sure I did it all right... nor does it come from the fact that now, with everything up and running perfectly, I can't log into windows unless it's safe mode, because my installation key has changed.... but instead, the ire that is filling my brain is coming from the fact that I was in no way, shape, or form warned before doing this (even after all my research on how windows xp would change after hardware upgrades), and that now I cannot get any help from either hp or microsoft unless I pay a $40 or $100 fee, which I have recently learned, will not help anyway.
I do not have the windows xp cds because windows came previously installed on my computer, an hp pavilion I bought online. What I do have are thousands of serial numbers, registration numbers, cd keys, model numbers, and product numbers which are useless. This is due to the alphanumeric code that was created on my old MB (which retrieves the installation key) which cannot be duplicated, even though I have the same HD (and hence, have not copied or even thought about trying to move the softeware, or cheat microsoft in any way). And I can't do anything about it... at least to my knowledge. I have posted this topic before with unsuccessful results (see Ready to Jump Off the Roof ), but in this thread all I really want to do is to warn people of the dangers of hardware switching and to let people know how limited technical support really is. If anyone has an answer, great. If not, then I have said all I can. Thanks.

well, that is a starndard problem when doing major hardware changes. Windows saves HDD device ID's in its registry, and with a new MBD you have all sorts of changes that will impact its operation because on boot windows is looking for this particular chipset and since the instructions are NOT the same as the old chipset, it will have serious problems. I assume you can do a repair installation or recovery. You could try this and see if this helps, but you'll have to know where the drivers and cab files are located and path out to this location. This is involved and a little advanced, but when you get into safe mode go into system properties, device manager and find system devices. In there, you'll see PCI bus. highlight and remove and reboot. On reboot windows will reinstall pretty much all of your devices, also you probably have a chipset driver cd with the MBD. You will need to use that. If it sounds like a chipset and windows can't find it, dont let it install, or TRY to path it to the MBD chipset driver CD/floppy. If that doesn't work, then dont install it and when at the desktop, instead of rebooting like it usually says, get to the desktop, insert the MBD chipset disk and install the MBD drivers. Reboot after that and finish installing the rest of the crap. A little note, this takes awhile and, although I find it easy to do, it depends on experience, so its at your risk to do this. Since you can only get to safe mode, may as well do it. Unless anyone else has an idea. Also, while in safe mode go to start, run and type msconfig and remove all checks in startup incase its a conflict there. ESPECIALLY antivirus stuff. You can reinstall that later, but as of now could cause a problem

People don't realize when they have HP computers,
they should never reinstall windows.

upon reboot, hit f10 (I just have to show a computer technician, that today at his store). system recovery will appear. it will restore the computer to the original condition it was in when you got it. it also only take 20 -25 mins. to do, plus you don't have to activate windows this way.

now if you upgrade to a bigger hard drive, get 3rd party software like drive image 7 or partition magic. you can even use software that came with your hard drive to copy your old hard drive to your new one. then you won't encounter this problem

problem is not sure if it loads up a ramdrive or not. see, they keep his os on its own partition for reinstall purposes (assuming its like MDM systems, pieces o'crap). If so, he installs from the HDD partition containing the os. I know the MWM would do a deltree of windows (old 98 etc) instead of a format. they sucked.

OK. Well I did try a system restore in safe mode, but it doesn't sound like the one you described, so I'll try that. Also, I didn't reinstall windows; it, for all practicle purposes in my mind, stayed the same (obviously not). Thanks very much for the advice though.

it isn't a system restore, it is a system recovery. it give you all of your application and OS system back, that originally came with the computer.

HP implemented it, not microsoft. the theory behind it is 'you are suppose to call them when you have problems' and they will guide you through recovery and doing that is way better than reinstalling windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom