Microsoft Says IE More Secure Than Firefox - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Microsoft Says IE More Secure Than Firefox

Microsoft Says IE More Secure Than Firefox

Jeff Jones, Security Strategy Director of Microsoft's Trustworthy Computing Group, says that IE is more secure than Firefox. You donít need to be a rocket scientist to realize those are fightiní words right there! Secure your Nomex clothing and other fire retardant gear because Iím predicting a flame war in 3Ö2Ö1.

Jones explains in his report Browser Vulnerability Analysis (PDF), that Mozilla has fixed 199 security vulnerabilities since November 2004, when Firefox first appeared, of which 75 were critical, 100 medium and 24 of low importance. Over the same period, a total of 87 security vulnerabilities were fixed in Internet Explorer, of which 54 were critical, 28 medium and 5 of low importance.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: Microsoft Says IE More Secure Than Firefox

I say FF and Opera own... and this guy is talking BS

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 12-03-2007, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

they said that when firefox first came out. we know how ms tell the truth.

go to myspace.com and watch how many virus you get in ie. you won't get any in ff
Old 12-03-2007, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

The only thing i can say is that it is Bull. But they do have a point recently with the recent releases of Firefox. There was 3 releases compared to the amount of updates for IE.

Granted IE is only patched the 2nd Tuesday of every month. It is still bull.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 12-03-2007, 09:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Corrupt Techie

Not only do I doubt that IE really is more secure than Firefox, but I also love Firefox more for it's customization. Some of those extentions kick ***.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

I fix a millions computer that people have that are virus infected. they all use IE. people who use FF as a default browser will get at worse 1 to 2 viruses
Old 12-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

If it's said by Microsoft, it must be true!

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo

"Security Strategy Director"

Is that the strategy where they lie to the world to inflate their public image in the face of new and better technologies?

"since November 2004, when Firefox first appeared"
Did they bother to mention how this compares to the time when IE first appeared? Did they bother to mention that it takes sometimes months for IE vulnerabilities to be fixed once they're demonstrated and exploited, and that some still have not been fixed, whereas Mozilla usually has them fixed within a few days?
No? I thought not...

When you try to compare the number of problems something has, you don't compare the number of problems already fixed - you compare the number of problems that have yet to be fixed... and in that vein, IE has a lot more problems.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

By the way, having worked in virus repair and removal... the company I worked for didn't like us showing people firefox or installing it for them, because it hurt business. People who use firefox don't come back in with more viruses to be removed!
Old 12-04-2007, 12:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

oh wow, I just RTFA'd, and all I can say is wow...

Can you believe the audacity of this man?

FTFA: "He notes that security updates are currently only being released for version 2.0 of Firefox. If Mozilla's policy of providing support for earlier versions for just six months following the release of a successor version were to be applied by Microsoft, support for Internet Explorer 6 would have been stopped in May 2007"

Maybe this is acceptable for Mozilla, because Mozilla never BLOCKED a big chunk of firefox users from upgrading to 2.0. There's no need to support 1.x when 2.0 is freely available, and, technically, offered as the support to 1.x. Microsoft, on the other hand, refuses to let anyone without XP SP2 and WGA or Vista install IE7. That's disgusting.