microsoft ripping people off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok thanx for all of that info Makaveli213 you helped me out a lot. I wish walmart would sell xp for $40 or somethong cause they would still make money.

Norcent you are right they would. So would M$. The MSRP (Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price) is still that high for XP. At least in the retail stores. I personally asked the store manager when i worked there why they are selling XP Upgrade (Home version no less) for $99 when you can get the Vista Basic upgrade for $89. It didnt make sense to me.

joy_bo why do you need another serial? Why not jsut call M$ and get your old one re-activated?

Ok... lots of people commented on my low ethics note...

I thought you meant grabbing the disk, copying the disk, writing down and keeping the serial, and then return the whole lot.

If all you need is the disk, then yea, download or barrow from friend.

Sorry for the confusion, I guess I didn't word it very well, But I assumed that when peterhuang913 said to get from store, to take everything.http://www.techist.com/forums/members/peterhuang913/

Also, to Makaveli213, and the other who commented about Microsoft getting money. Note that I did say that Microsoft doesn't need the money.

Also, I did not know that the retailers don't have to pay for the software up front. for wal-mart, well screw them anyway, but I try to support the technology stores. (staples, best buy, local computer shops, etc.)

most retailers prohibit returns of opened software for this very reason. Gamestop/EB games for example, have a policy which prohibits you from returning an opened PC game at all, if you buy it & it won't install and bring it back 30 minutes later they'll just tell you sorry.

Operating systems are treated the same way.

its an oem n it been activated more than 3 times as the 1st installation files were missing n then i reinstalled n had to enter it again so i activated agian then it happened again so i put xp back so i could do the job whihc i need n now it wont activate, as i put it on my laptop as i didnt want it on my desktop bt i have sdwaped them round lol

ssjheero_yuy99

I understand about the whole company thing, I really do. But BestBuy is just like Wal-Mart if not worse. Why? Cause they deal in bigger quanties than Wal-Mart and therefor get them for even cheaper since they buy a bigger bulk for each store. While Wal-Mart only carries 1 maybe 2 per store.

Staples, Circuit Cityare the same way. They buy in bigger bulk per store than Wal-Mart and get even more of a discount. True Wal-Mart has more stores but they also have to account for where the stores are located. Cant buy all US/English versions for the stores in the UK. That would cause problems with the EU.

So basically the only ones that get hurt by the prices are teh local shops. They are the only ones who dont get the major discount cause they dont buy large numbers. Unless of ocurse they are a partner with M$ then that is a whole nother story.

Jay_bo just use the phone activation method and call M$. Tell them you had to re-isntall cause of a crash and they will activate it for you. ;)

most retailers prohibit returns of opened software for this very reason. Gamestop/EB games for example, have a policy which prohibits you from returning an opened PC game at all, if you buy it & it won't install and bring it back 30 minutes later they'll just tell you sorry.

Operating systems are treated the same way.

Yea, but there is at least one way to get around this anyway.... I'm not going to post it, but I know its easy to do if you have the equipment.

I try to use open source and free ware stuff. I buy my norton and get it free after tax software rebates, (which is nice, since it comes around once a year.), and I buy my windows copy from the college, ($5 a disk for full XP Pro, yea, I'm have several copies for backups and such.) And when vista came out, they were offering it out free to students who were registered in a computer class. My backup program and spyware program are purchased, but $20-30 each is nothing.

Only thing I'm annoyed at is that I don't have a good data dvd burner software yet. (don't think the $50-60 for nero is worth it).

But oh well. that new mac os looked really good, too bad they don't do games well. and I'm drifting over to linux anyway.

but prop not in the uk lol

"but prop not in the uk"??? complete got lost on that one...

I'm in the USA, Montana to narrow it down some.

yea, we can get Windows XP Professional, Visual Studio.NET, Visio Professional, and Project Professional for $5-15

anything on this list is free, but we have to install it within 30 days. Because of that I actually have not gotten anything yet because my system doesn't support vista.
http://www.geocities.com/pikilo/software.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom