Microsoft Protecting Me From Myself

Byxorna

Solid State Member
Ever since I installed 7, I've been disallowed to do many functions. I'm not allowed to rename files, change settings, etc. Pic related, Microsoft refuses to let me make the most trivial changes. I'm already an administrator, what the hell does a guy need to do to gain control over his own computer?
MkBo7CAcmSgAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

The picture isn't showing up. Try re-uploading it.

Anyway... since Vista, Windows has what's called UAC (User Access Control) which prompts for admin access to system functions.

If you're trying to re-name files, change settings, etc. that affect the system, it prompts for admin access.

Your account isn't actually an "Administrator", but a "Power User". This helps protect the system from unauthorized changes from malware, or from somebody changing a setting accidentally.

If you want, you can disable UAC (which I highly discourage) through User Accounts under Control panel. What I would advise instead of disabling it, is just dropping it down to the 1st level above disabling it. That way it doesn't dim your screen, and prompts for less actions.

I've never had UAC prevent me from doing trivial things like rename a file or change settings. UAC's purpose is to notify you when an app is attempting to make a change so that apps can't make changes without your knowledge/approval.

Byorna - It may be that you need to "take ownership" of the files you are attempting to make changes to. If you can change files that you created but you can't change files that you copied from another machine then you may be running into a permissions issue.

I've never had UAC prevent me from doing trivial things like rename a file or change settings. UAC's purpose is to notify you when an app is attempting to make a change so that apps can't make changes without your knowledge/approval.

OP never specified what files they were renaming, which is why I specified "when renaming files that affect the system".

For example, I can't mess with or delete the files for Internet Explorer. On my laptop, which also ran 7, I never encountered a prompt telling me I needed permission to do something.

What do you mean by "mess with" the files for IE? Are they under the C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Windows folders? if so... those are system folders that apply to the restrictions I mentioned in my previous post.

Lower the UAC control level and you won't get the prompts. I recommend not turning it off completely though.

I'll do that. I must have done that on previous machines and forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom