Microsoft Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nig

Beta member
Is there any way that Outlook can be configured so that mail can be read and delivered / sent from either networked machine on a home network?

Can't find any help in the software itself, so am hoping that someone here knows what to do.

Thanks

Nigel

You want to use Outlook for a Home Email system?
Outlook is really just a interface in for Exchange. So to do this, you would have to set up an Exchange server or something simular to make it work. At least i think that is the case.

Outlook Express can do what you are refering to, but I have never heard of using Outlook from home.

Good Luck.

You can use Outlook just like Outlook Express. You can configure Outlook to connect to an Exchange server, IMAP host, HTTP host or a POP3 mail account.
If the wizard doesn't start at Outlook's startup, then just goto Tools > Email Accounts and set it up as you would in Outlook Express. Then you can use multiple Outlook sessions on multiple home networked PCs to utilize this account.

-Mike

Thanks. I can't yet believe that anything from Microsoft would be that easy. It sounds too good to be true!

Thanks again

Another thought... Is it possible to set up rules to sort mail to go to different machines and can the address book be shared?

In Outlook, the address book is set to the local PC.....unless you are using Exchange Server and login through the internet. So, the book won't follow you around from PC to PC. If you are not using Exchange Server then setting a rule to designate mail to a certain PC doesn't exist.

-Mike

Thanks for the info about the address book, I suppose I can copy that across.

As to "GroupWise" I have no idea what that means, so... No, I'm not :)

Thanks for the help though.

Nig

just consider that if you set up Outlook in the manner that Mike describes,, then the mail will be divided to the users by "whomsoever" logs into the mail first...the mail will NOT be replicated between the users,,

so,, if John logs onto his pc and gets the mail,, downloads to his PC,, Suzy comes home, logs in ,, tries to get mail,, but it is either gone to John, or new stuff,, Suzy is expecting an email , but it is now on Johns machine,, either Suzy goes to Johns PC to read and reply, or John would have to forward it via a Web based account to Suzy (hotmail),,,

that is the drawback,,, take it from one who has been EXTREMELY pissed when sharing an account and your Mate has downloaded your mail, but neglects to tell you!!!

But thats another story,,

cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom