Microsoft Office XP Pro w/FrontPage phantom install popup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnum4c

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I'm using XP Home with SP3, however, the following started while using SP2. Whenever I begin a search for files (@start-R click "search"), the search commences and then a Windows Installer message pops up that indicates Windows Office XP Professional with FrontPage is being configured for installation. The installation fails because it can't find the files necessary to complete the installation, namely PROPLUS.MSI.

TO MY KNOWLEDGE, I have never tried to install Office XP Pro on my computer, nor do I wish to. What can I do to stop this annoying situation from continuing, and why would it start in the first place?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hello,

That file is also used by Office 2003 and Office 2007. Not just Office XP.

It could that a demo of the app was installed at some point?

You need to find out why that is hooked in with the search. Can always just download the new Microsoft Search 4.0 as well.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks for the reply, Mak.

I agree, I need to find out why this situation only rears its ugly head when I attempt a search, but how do I do that?

And I don't know anything about Search 4.0, so would downloading it necessarily preclude this from happening, or is 4.0 merely upgrading files from the earlier search function that would allow the problem to continue? I guess I could answer that myself by "just doing it", but thought I'd throw the question out here anyway! ;>)

Cheers to you, too! Mike

Go to Start, run, type msconfig, then go to the startup tab and post a screen shot of all the entries

I have seen in the past, entries in msconfig>startup for office applications, once unchecked the issue goes away. You could also use the detect and repair feature within Office.

Okay, I gotta admit, I can get around my computer fairly well and follow directions with the best of them, but I'm not the most tech savvy individual..........

...........I can see all the entries on the startup tab of the system configuration utility, but how do I capture a screen shot of it so I can post it here? I've tried highlighting everything and right clicking for a copy/paste type function, but no dice.

Also, I've looked in my Office folder, as well as Microsoft Office Tools, but don't see anything like a Detect and Repair utility. I'm using Office 2002 if that makes any difference......

Mike

Hi all,

Thought I'd bounce this back to the top as I still don't know how to provide the snapshot Osiris suggested a couple answers ago. Also, where is the "detect and repair feature" in Office?

Thanks for any and all help! This glitch is really buggin' me! Mike

Hi all,

Thought I'd bounce this back to the top as I still don't know how to provide the snapshot Osiris suggested a couple answers ago. Also, where is the "detect and repair feature" in Office?

Thanks for any and all help! This glitch is really buggin' me! Mike

Repair
click HELP>Detect and Repair

Screenshot
Click the print screenbutton or alt print screen and past it into paint, save it and then upload it to photobucket or imageshack and then post it here

Thanks for the info, Osiris! Here is a link to the screen shots of my msconfig startup tab (check out the rest of my site while you're at it!):

Our Gallery of Photos

Hopefully you'll spot something there that is the culprit! BTW, I unchecked a couple of "reminders" that load on startup, and after I did, the system went into "selective startup" whenever I boot up the computer. I found this more irritating than the reminders, so I re-checked them and now it starts up normally. So the question is, if you find something that needs "un-checking" to fix my issue, how do I avoid this "selective startup" message that pops up whenever I boot the computer?

Cheers! Mike

Hi again,

Wasn't sure if you got a chance to see my last post on this problem, Osiris, so I'm bumping this back up to the top of the list again in case you or someone else can still help. Please see my previous post with the link to the screen shots of my msconfig file. And don't forget to check out the rest of my website........I am unabashedly a lush!

Thanks! Mike the Wino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom