microsoft office license terms

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumber4578

In Runtime
I read the license term and was wondering if that means I can install it on another puter in my house???

1. OVERVIEW. These license terms permit installation and use of a copy of the software on three devices, along with other rights, all as described below.
2. INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to a device. That device is a “licensed device.”* A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
a. Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on three licensed devices in your household for use by people who reside there. The software is not licensed for use in any commercial, non-profit, or revenue-generating business activities.
b. Separation of Components. The components of the software are licensed as a single unit.* You may not separate the components and install them on different devices.
3. ADDITIONAL LICENSING REQUIREMENTS AND/OR USE RIGHTS.
a. Remote Access. The single primary user of a licensed device may access and use the software installed on the licensed device remotely from any other device. You may allow other users to access the software to provide you with support services. You do not need additional licenses for this access. No other person may use the software under the same license at the same time for any other purpose.

Hello,

According to the Office EULA and TOS you can install Office on 3 machines. So yes you could install it on another PC in your house.

Cheers,
Mak

Now wait, I was referring to the copies that are on the shelves at circuit city and whatnot. Is that what you meant?

I figured it has to be a 3 license thing. 400 bucks for 1 license is straight up robbery.

Hello,

There is a difference. Office you can install on 3 machiens at once. That is it though. No more License.

As for Windows you do get more than 1 activation. But not at 1 time.

XP OEM - 3 activations
XP Retail - 10 activations (Roughly. Some say more some say less)
Vista OEM - 1 activation
Vista Retail - 3 activations

Anything from MSDN or TechNET has 10 activations.

Now by activations that means the amount of machines that you can isntall it on. A activation is done by the hardware profile send to Microsoft when you activate. So if you change hardware and reinstall that counts as a activation since the hardware changed. Espically if you get a new mobo and CPU. Since that constitutes a new PC.

Cheers,
Mak

Wow. Just, wow.

Lightning hits. Motherboard blows. Order a new one on NewEgg.com. BAM, new activation license used.

That's just plain awesome.

I bought it at staples. It's the home and student version; I think I only paid $115.00. I didn't think that was too bad of a deal. I am glad that I don't have to spend that agian for our other computer. I think that is the worst things with PCs. The whole licensing thing. It's destroying PCs. Especially gaming. They are raping us because the can't control there on copyrights. So everyone pays for it everytime they go to buy any software.

i disagree Jayse. My bios on my mobo just went currupt and couldn't be repaired just a couple of months ago. I ordered another one (same mobo but an open box) switched all my hardware over and had no problems. Of coarse I didn't have to reinstall Vista because it was the same board; but still. I can't imagine if you upgrade your CPU you have to get another copy of your OS. If that is true that sucks!!!!!! Ofcoaurse though if you had a MAC you couldn't even upgrade your CPU (I think I am right on that one).

Hello,

I dont think she was talking about you specifically Plumber. I think she was saying that in regards to my comments on the Licensing of Windows.

What you have done is completely legal and all within the rules of the Office Terms.

The fact is most of the time when you get a new CPU you get a new mobo. The new mobo will force you to get a new copy of Windows as that is what the TOS and EULA calls for. But if you can get a upgraded CPU you have no problems. You can all Microsoft to get it reactived withint their TOS and EULA. But at least 80% of the time when someone does a CPU upgrade they also do a mobo upgrade. In that situation you will have to get a new copy of Windows.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom