Microsoft Office 2010 licenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

manowar

In Runtime
hi all,

Quick question.

A friend is setting up a business that he is running from home.

He has aquired several PCs and would like to use Microsoft 2010 Professional on each PC.

My question is this. What sort of licensing does he need? Would a standard Retail license of Office 2010 Professional be acceptable to use? Or would I have to buy a Volume License for say, 10 PCs (room for expansion)?

Cheers all.

IIRC, you can only use the Office license up to 3 times. So you can safely use the same license on 3 different computers.

You would need to contact Microsoft in order to get a Volume License Key. They are not sold via any retail, be online or brick and mortar. You have to have a valid Tax License from the US Gov't in order to apply. Getting a VLK is far more cost effective than buying multiple copies of Office 2010 Professional.

Also Office Professional is not for multiple installs. That is only for Office Home and Student or Home and Business. Professional is a single use only license.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I actually live in the UK, so I don't know whether licensing laws are different here.

So the long and short of it is, if I want the Pro edition on multiple machines then I need to ring Microsoft and get a quote for a Volume License?

OR I could by say 5 retail copies for 5 individual PCs?

As MoM said, it would be a waste of resources. Microsoft Licenses are going to be the same no matter where you are. The EULA for Windows and Office are the same in the UK as they are in the USA. The only difference is the EU stepped in and forced Microsoft to remove WMP from Windows and allow for the consumer to choose which browser they want to download and install as their default. Other than that the licenses are going to be exactly the same.

By far your best choice would be to get in contact with Microsoft about a VLK and save yourself money. That way if the business grows and you have the need for more licenses, you have that ability. Instead of wasting more money by purchasing more copies of something you already own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom