Microsoft Office 2007 shuts down constantly (poss Kernel 41 prob?)?

alexier

Solid State Member
Hi all, I wonder if you could help me?

Everytime I open any Office package but mostly word as I use that often, the whole thing shuts down...It's driving me mad..I'm not a tech expert so don't really know how to solve the issue past doing a MO Diagnostics or a fix it (which I've done both of) I've even done the whole 'Old' thing under the file names.... I've now reinstalled Word direct from Microsoft (and all the updates) and it's doing the same thing.

I looked under a different board on these forums and it mentioned looking at what message came up so I noticed the comp kept saying 'KERNEL 41 Power critical' Does this have anything to do with the problem?

I have a Lenovo T500 on Vista and I've done a Norton Virus check

It's the orig Word...I got it on a disc with the key direct from Lenovo where I bought the Laptop.

RAM says 9.41 GB free of 137 GB

Any help, gratefully accepted!

Alex

The kernel 41 power critical error just means that the computer didn't turn off cleanly (i.e. - shut down w/o warning).

Do you notice that a blue screen pops up before it restarts?

If not, go to your system properties (Start=>Right-click Computer=>Properties)
On the left side, click advanced system settings.
Under startup and recovery, click "settings".
Under system failure, choose "small memory dump (256kb)" and uncheck "automatically restart". This way the system should at least give you an error code and it won't restart automatically while you're looking at it.

Thanks...I've just done that...if it Shuts down again is there anyway of telling what causes it?

Thanks so much for the simple step by step instruction...that was really useful :D

If/When it happens again, preventing the restart will (hopefully) force the system to create a dump file of everything that was going on when the system crashed.

When you then reboot your pc, the dump file(s) are placed in the C:\windows\minidump folder as dmp files.
If you want, you can zip up a couple of the most recent ones, and attach them to a post. That way we take a look at them.

Thanks I'll do that....I don't know if this means anything tried to do a system restore ...it said I didn't have enough memory ...I've checked and it says I have 27.7 GB of memory left.

I have bought memory just before Christmas - 2gb and added it to the comp... Could this also be a prob?

My sister thinks it could be a virus which is why she suggested a system restore?

First off, the memory it's talking about it is not the RAM, it's about the hard drive.
Of your 160GB hard drive, you have 27.7GB left.

You could try the system restore, but you'll have to check these settings so you can try it. Again, Start=>right-click computer=>properties
Instead, on the left-side, choose "system protection"
Find the button that says "configure", and then you'll see a window like this...
d7f18064-db5e-4a77-bf4a-7b4fe401c095_44.jpg

What does yours say?

Last edited:
Oh blimey that's not much room left then!

I'll check those settings and do a restore....I've obviously got more stuff on this comp than I thought!

Ill update when I've completed the tasks :) good job I joined these forums!

I checked that ...I got all the way to system protection but I can't find configure...I have realised that it gets bad when I save/ Insert etc...if I am just writing its not too bad but anything where I issue a command it just shuts right away.

I checked that ...I got all the way to system protection but I can't find configure...I have realised that it gets bad when I save/ Insert etc...if I am just writing its not too bad but anything where I issue a command it just shuts right away.
Well, let's deal with the office issue first. See if repairing the installation of office helps. Go to your installed programs menu, choose office 2007, and choose to uninstall it. Office will prompt you with choices, choose the one that says "repair", and let it run.

Back
Top Bottom