Microsoft to offer xp to win 7 upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cant agree. Cause it does have to do with the "lazy" developers. They refused to get their software updated for Vista. Case in point Combofix. One of the best spyware removal tools and you have to basically hack it to get it working on Vista and it doesnt work on Win7 at all.

That is just 1 software. I can name more. Educational software has not been updated to run on Vista. Medical Software still runs strictly on XP. These are 2 major business models. Yet most of the software that they run doesnt work. Which is due to the developers not getting it supported.

Which in turn comes back to them not wanting to spend money to update which generates the vicious circle. If the businesses adapted it would force teh developers and so on. Yes ultimately it is the business. But at the same time many businesses are not able to upgrade cause a critical piece of software doesnt work. AT that point it isnt the businesses fault. That would be he developers.

It is a complete circle. It is fault on both parts. Cause without the software to work some wont update. Without them updating the software wont be updated. It is a total lack from both. It isnt just the fault of 1 or the other.

Exactly my point. I just wanted to clarify that it was not solely the fault of the developers (supply side) that the businesses (demand side) should take some of the blame as well.

Notice my total lack of blame for M$ although the shaky release of Vista did not help but with that said Vista has been a viable option for a long time now.

It is not as bad as everyone thinks.. the problem seen with Vista when launched it was a huge change from XP from how everything looked to how the hardware handled it.

The specs for 7 are half of what they were for Vista, meaning alot of machines unless they are 10 years old, 7 will support them with a simple change of a GPU and maybe a little ram.

Most software I used on XP works on 7, some of it was developed before Vista even released a beta to testers. Win7 will be better all the way around. mainly because it will work so much better than Vista did when the first RTM is seen.

I will agree with that, I think that Win7 is shaping up to be very good. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about it, really. Vista was a good enough OS, and I actually sue it exclusively. But I think Microsoft finally learned their lesson that they can't keep forcing consumers to upgrade endlessly and that was the back lash with Vista, really. I think Win 7 is going to have a much brighter future.

Does anyone have a link to what the expected Win 7 requirements are? I'd like to see them, I haven't looked at any of it yet.

According to PC World, the requirements are:

* 1GHz processor (32- or 64-bit)
* 1GB of main memory
* 16GB of available disk space
* Support for DX9 graphics with 128MB of memory (for the Aero interface)
* A DVD-R/W drive

Source

btw I was unaware that you could sue Vista exclusively. How would one go about doing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom