Microsoft MAP

kalessi

In Runtime
Has anybody used microsoft MAP? Did this software help you improve your network at all? Just kind of interested because im doing some research on it for an internship...

MAP does nothing to help your network - it's a tool MS developed to help you prepare for migrations. It 'maps' out your servers and software inventory and can assess if there will be conflicts during an installation / upgrade.

It's meant for planning purposes and to streamline updates / upgrades to your infrastructure.
https://www.microsoft.com/sam/en/us/map.aspx

I was also trying to use it to track licensing for software on the network. I came up with a lot of machines which failed with a connection timeout. The inventory was only 20 percent successful. Possible reason of why I received that message is below. I am not sure why I am recieving this message.. I am doing this remotely on a domain network... any suggestions??

Failed – Connection Timeout:
The hostname resolved in DNS successfully to an IP address. Then MAP tried to open a connection to port 135 to see if the machine was firewalled or otherwise not listening on port 135 (possibly it's a Linux machine or other non-windows or device). When trying to open TCP/135, the connection timed out (this is a normal TCP/IP connection timeout)
Note: MAP doesn't try to do a traditional ping (ICMP) and instead relies on being able to open TCP/135 in the WMI inventory scenario to determine if the machine is alive/reachable or not.

Last edited:
Run the tool within your LAN so that port is open (unless you guys keep firewall on for LAN traffic).

We ran ours on LAN and didn't have any issues. Telnet over 135 to see if it's open. If not you have two options:
1. Run the map from a server on the LAN (easiest)
2. Create a GPO that opens port 135 on all objects you want MAP to connect to. Once complete disable that GPO (I wouldn't remove it as you will be running MAP again at your licensing trueup period next year)

Back
Top Bottom