Microsoft Excel ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

j4mes_bond25

Baseband Member
Does anyone know, if I can set a validation in Excel in the way, that say, Row A already has data typed in it but when someone opens the file, they can't see the text of Row A (or a particular cell), but can type in it & IF only they type the same text which is already in there (i.e. within a cell, however, invisible to them) can they SEE the text, after they press Enter (bringing the squared cursor to the next cell).

If the typed information doesn't match with what's in that particular cell, then it should remain blank, so he/she would know that information typed is incorrect i.e. doesn't match with what's already in there.

I know what you are try to do but its complicated....its kinda like autofill or something...i havent messed with Excel in such a long time...im lookin thou

Warez Monster !!!

Warez Monster said:
I know what you are try to do but its complicated....its kinda like autofill or something...i havent messed with Excel in such a long time...im lookin thou

I would really appreciated, if you could help me the best possibly way you could.

csamuels said:
data | validate, i believe

As you can see from the attachment, that I'm probably using the right command i.e. Data > Validation, however, all I could do is simply set the length of the text. So, if someone types in "drink" in the cell "drink coffee", that will show NO error, since the word "drink" in itself has 5 character of text length.

However, what I rather wanted was a way excel "identifies" the text within the cell in the way that if, it doesn't get typed the way it's in there i.e. if someone doesn't type the exact "drink coffee" then, it should show the error.

Attachments

• datavalidation.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 24
csamuels !!!

csamuels said:
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-1033361.html#

specify allow list, create a list of valid entries in your spreadsheet, then in settings assign the list you just created. goto error alert to specify an error message when invalid input is entered.

this will also create a drop down list for your users to choose from.

Thanks very much for taking your time out in helping me out here & is much appreciated.

This was simply a stellar. It did the job, exactly the way I wanted & can apply it on my spreadsheet, however, this time, I simply will have to add additional column for the "list" & then can hide the column, so whoever types it won't be able to see what the input is meant to be, unless he/she knows it beforehand.

This was my very first post on this website, which I came across while browsing the net & as THEY say, a satisfied customer always comes back. So, I'll be around on this forums, from now onwards. :)

ha, yea. thats how it started for me. 2000 posts later, im scrambling around trying to help ppl. I hope you enjoy your stay at TF. It is a good crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom