Microsoft to Drop IE

I think this will be a good move since pretty much everyone that uses Windows XP and IE8 thinks it's crap and makes fun of it. If they just renamed IE, I'm sure most of the little kids using Chrome will go and use it because it comes with their PC and isn't called Internet Explorer.

I think this will be a good move since pretty much everyone that uses Windows XP and IE8 thinks it's crap and makes fun of it. If they just renamed IE, I'm sure most of the little kids using Chrome will go and use it because it comes with their PC and isn't called Internet Explorer.

Your actually right.. its crazy how much branding affects how a product is perceived.

Try web development sometime. IE is crap most of the time.

Consider this... They have had plenty of time to ditch IE and build a totally new beast, they haven't. They will just rename IE, and throw it out with a new look.

I don't think so. I think they are finally trying to realize where they are weak and why their market share has dropped off so much. It's not an overnight process to turn a company that big around and catch up. I personally think they are on the right track but not there yet. When the new OS comes out i may have to eat my words but i think they knew before they pushed Win 8 that it was a flop but they were already too far into the lifecycle. I bet the next iteration is much more on the mark for today's consumer. I know i jumped from IE to Windows in general but i think the same concept applies. I expect this new IE will be much more in line with Chrome and Firefox.

I don't think I worded that quite right, people only use IE8 and think that's all there is. IE8 is indeed crap for web development, though I usually get pretty good results with IE11. Weird.

That's because they changed IE11's engine somewhat as well. Though refer to my previous post about IE11 and why I dislike it as well.

Most people don't use IE because it IS crap. Ever try to develop a website? Easy enough to get the website working with Chrome, and Firefox, but the moment IE comes into play, you basically have to build the website over just for each major version of IE for it to display properly. We actually got to the point that if we detected IE for our website that the user would get a blank page offering a download of Chrome, or Firefox. Though all this was prior to IE11

I wonder how long it will take for companies to switch to IE 10
So many still use IE 8!

There's a number of applications that I use at work that are IE only. I don't see it disappearing any time soon. I hope they rebuild it from the ground up to match Chrome and Safari.

Most people don't use IE because it IS crap. Ever try to develop a website? Easy enough to get the website working with Chrome, and Firefox, but the moment IE comes into play, you basically have to build the website over just for each major version of IE for it to display properly. We actually got to the point that if we detected IE for our website that the user would get a blank page offering a download of Chrome, or Firefox. Though all this was prior to IE11

W3Counter: Browser, OS Market Share Trends
Amazing how much market share that IE has lost recently.

Back
Top Bottom