Microsoft Copyright issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

donaldfleming

Baseband Member
I have Microsoft Office 2010 Home and Business (Retail Version) and Microsoft Publisher 2010 (Retail Version), which I use in the publication of a church magazine (circulation: around 300) that is distributed free of charge and carries no paid for advertising. In short it is not for profit.

I would like to download images from the Microsoft website for use in the magazine.

Am I free to do so without violating copyright?

The website to which I refer is as follows:

Images and more - Office.com

No you can't download them without permission. Not for a circulation that goes to people. Even with a lot for profit company or church. If you send them an email they might grant you permission but with conditions. Such as leaving the Registered mark or Trademark or Copyright symbol along with adding some text like used with permission or something along those lines. They might not even have you add the text given that it is not for profit. But I can almost guarantee that they will want the symbols left in place as those images are their property. They might have you add a it's saying images copyright Microsoft.

There are all kinds of open domain images available online. A quick search should net you what you need.

Hi KSoD,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

On investigating this matter further I was directed to the 'Microsoft Service Agreement'. It seems to suggest that images can be used in a non-commercial way without including attribution or a trademark. I've enclosed a link and a quote for your attention in this regard. I would be most interested in any comments that you may have.

Microsoft Service Agreement

17. Office.com and Office Web App media elements and templates

If you use Microsoft Office.com or the Microsoft Office Web Apps, you may have access to media images, clip art, animations, sounds, music, video clips, templates, and other forms of content ("media elements") provided with the software available on Office.com or as part of a service associated with the software. You may copy and use the media elements in projects and documents. You may not: (i) sell, license, or distribute copies of the media elements by themselves or as a product if the primary value of the product is the media elements; (ii) grant your customers rights to further license or distribute the media elements; (iii) license or distribute for commercial purposes media elements that include the representation of identifiable individuals, governments, logos, trademarks, or emblems or use these types of images in ways that could imply an endorsement or association with your product, entity or activity; or (iv) create obscene works using the media elements. For more information, see the Use of Microsoft Copyrighted Content webpage:

www.microsoft.com/permission

Interesting. Thanks for the info. They must have updated that since the introduction of the Office Web apps. I will have to go and read the Agreements again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom