Microsoft claims my OEM Windows is Invalid (HELP!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VarLordahl

Baseband Member
So being the techie of the family, I am basically responsible for free 24/7/365 tech support/computer advice/computer purchasing advice, etc... for all my immediate and extended family. Whenever someone gets a new computer, we play round-robin with the old computers.

My mother just got a new Dell E1405 Laptop that I picked for her, so her 4-year-old old Toshiba S173-1415 (1.8 Celeron, 512 Ram, 30gb harddrive, etc...) is going to my grandma.

So I take the computer, which is bundled with "version 2002" of Windows XP to my apartment. Toshiba doens't bundle with their systems Windows XP Disks - instead they have a series of 3 disks that basically do all the reformating, partitioning, drive installation, etc.. for you. It's a one-click and bam everything is done type of affair.

Over the past 4 years, I've reformatted this computer twice with zero problems - the last time about 18 months.

So last night I got to reformat. Everything works perfectly. THen I go to updated Windows.

It downloads the initial 16 security updates (prior to service pack 2 install, etc..). Everything is going fine. Then it tells me that my Windows Software is INVALID. I used the original disks that came with the computer! It's totally valid! I'm 10000% positive this is the exact set of disks the computer came with!!!

So I click around Microsoft's "help" section, and all the suggestions are basically "Hey ****head, you just installed an illegal copy of Windows, go buy a legal copy." There is no indication of where to go to get redress for the issue if your copy of Windows is legit.

So what do I do? I really don't want to have to buy a $92 OEM Windows XP disk for a 4 year old computer worth maybe $150.

Has anyone heard of this happeneing before? Thanks guys...

I am in the same boat basically (legal copy as well.) You can call them up, otherwise you are screwed.

It says in the agreement that they have the right to terminate your copy. There are things you can do to tell XP to 'STFU' I think I am going to have to try one of them.

I appreciate the reply.

When you said "call them up" who is "them?" Microsoft? Toshiba?

Because this is going to my grandma, I can't just tell Windows to STFU - I need all the security updates, etc...

I'm going to try reformatting once again I think and see how that goes.

What I'm still confused about is why it started to update fine, but then after doing a bunch of updates THEN decided to Invalidate me.

Re: Re:

Alvin.C said:
Hello,

Have you activated windows xp yet?

It comes pre-activated. I was at first confused about this because that was my initial reaction.

So I went through all the documentation and found an enclosed peice of paper explaining that my copy of Windows XP came pre-activated.

Again, keep in mind that this is a VERY early version of Windows XP.

Re:

Hello,

Type c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a in Run, with c: being the Windows partition.

Hopefully, you should get the message Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.

I'm hoping not because that would explain everything...:D .

Alvin.C said:
Hello,

Type c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a in Run, with c: being the Windows partition.

Hopefully, you should get the message Windows is already activated. Click OK to exit.

Thank you, i'll try this as soon as I get home. I'm hoping not too actually :)

Although, as I said, there was Toshiba-specific documentation that came with the software that said that Windows was pre-activated - and no activation boxes have popped up. Moreover, I didn't even have to enter a Product Key Code or anything for this Windows install.

I always get messages for 'Genuine Windows' advantage notifications and my copy is 100% legal too. It's really annoying and for some reason i haven't done nothing about it yet.

with OEM software, three times is the limit... i've found this with personal experience.

go run:

%systemroot%\oobe\msoobe.exe /a

and then use the activation thing. Also, you MIGHT have to navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\WPAEvents in regedit (start>run>regedit), and change ONE or more of the values in that string (OOBETimer). Only do this if you cannot get the little "lets activate windows" message

then call them, and activate windows... the machine will guide you through it, then say it cannot activate windows, then you will talk to someone from india, who will ask you to read the numbers again, and explain yourself, and then wham bam thank you ma'am, your good to go

Alvin.C said:
Hello,

Windows already activated. ****. Time to try the other routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom