Microsoft announcement

I just can't imagine a company moving from fully Windows to fully Linux. At least where I work, that would be a monumental undertaking on the basis that everyone was happy to move. Which they wouldn't. SMT would spit their dummies out, it was painful enough transitioning from XP to 7..

Gamers still won't switch because now with the way DX12 is looking it'll keep developers from moving to OpenGL. Considering I'm pretty excited about Windows 10 I won't be moving either.

For some reason I don't think DX12 is going to get a massive hold very quickly in either the gaming sector, or anywhere else. We still have games being built on DX9 as is.

For some reason I don't think DX12 is going to get a massive hold very quickly in either the gaming sector, or anywhere else. We still have games being built on DX9 as is.
You'd be surprised actually. A lot of devs want to move to 12 due to not needing the cpu overhead. For consoles this is a huge deal. Plus many more things. Shitty low end devs stuck to 9 to keep the 360 and PS3 in the loop but many are finally moving on. Any game being made for Unreal, Frostbite, or Cryengine will move to 12 as well which is like 75% of the AAA game space. The move to 12 is a much bigger deal compared to 9-10 or 10-11.

Sent from my D6616

We said it wouldn't be a subscription not that it wouldn't be more of a "service". Read stuff on this, and it sounds more like what OSX does - incremental updates that are smaller "ugprade" versions for a cheap price, rather than a whole new OS. Nowhere does this indicate that it's going to be subscription-based OS, which is what the debate was about.

Like I said they haven't said it will become sub-base (licence) but I bet they will! I will make a bet with you now :cool:

I just can't imagine a company moving from fully Windows to fully Linux. At least where I work, that would be a monumental undertaking on the basis that everyone was happy to move. Which they wouldn't. SMT would spit their dummies out, it was painful enough transitioning from XP to 7..

With SaaS and full-fledged web services, it'll be much easier to move things over in the near future. Companies relying on installed applications likely won't for a very long time. Still so many companies still using AS/400 systems, never mind Windows!

Back
Top Bottom