Microsoft announcement

1etherer

Fully Optimized
Microsoft to stop producing Windows versions - BBC News

Quote ""Windows will be delivered as a service"

I remember a while back now telling people here like Carnage that Microsoft will make there OS a service and become licence based... I know they haven't announced that yet (licence wise), but you can see it is going to be heading there.. I knew I was right!

Anyone beg to differ? :cool: :cool::cool:

We said it wouldn't be a subscription not that it wouldn't be more of a "service". Read stuff on this, and it sounds more like what OSX does - incremental updates that are smaller "ugprade" versions for a cheap price, rather than a whole new OS. Nowhere does this indicate that it's going to be subscription-based OS, which is what the debate was about.

Sadly, as stupid as the general public is, I doubt it will... Might push more technicians and companies to some variant of *nix, but, you will still have the majority that rather pay $300 every year for facebook access (ya know, ya gotta buy that machine yearly to keep the baddies away and get to ya facebuhk) lol

^ Doubt it'll push many companies over. Would cost them more to find compatible software, rewrite any applications, train people, etc. to get things moved over to Linux (even for some servers).

Though, for places that use IIS and such...with .NET going open source now...that certainly could be more likely to happen as far as servers go.

Depends... A lot of helpdesk stuff has moved to a web-interface these days, and a few companies I know of around here are slowly moving over to a complete *nix environment, or even sadly looking at lower end apple machines for users on the network.

Depends... A lot of helpdesk stuff has moved to a web-interface these days, and a few companies I know of around here are slowly moving over to a complete *nix environment, or even sadly looking at lower end apple machines for users on the network.

That's true - heck, pretty much all the applications I develop here at work are web-based - tho they're still .NET framework based, so we're running windows boxes.

Well thats me finished then. I'm all ready on Mint on my Home Network. If you cant use Mint, you really shouldn't be using a PC. Sounds like a good move for Microsoft but TBH I hope they go under with it. TBH idc in all reality, I'm all ready on Mint.

Back
Top Bottom