Microsoft Already Starting on Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
According to a job posting on Microsoft's site, the company is starting to put its engineering team together for designing the successor to Windows 7. The job posting details of a storage related position with focus in the enterprise:

"For the upcoming version of Windows, new critical features are being worked on including cluster support and support for one way replication. The core engine is also being reworked to provide dramatic performance improvements. We will also soon be starting major improvements for Windows 8 where we will be including innovative features which will revolutionize file access in branch offices."

Microsoft Already Starting on Windows 8 - Tom's Hardware

These guys just don't stop do they? How many years were between XP and Vista? I understand why they wanted 7 out soon, but they're already starting to get together dev engineers for Windows 8 when 7 hasn't even came out with RC1?!

I suspect Mak can chime in on this, but with 7 coming out soon and their already being talk about deving for 8, is this any indication of M$ coming out with 8 in the same timeline 7 is after Vista? Or is this historically the norm?

EDIT: Check out the 2nd page and Mak's post. This article is el false'o.

Actually, it is the norm. MS plans on a 2-4 year release cycle, but that got completely screwed up with Vista. Redmond is now trying to get back to the original plan.

Unless they can pull out some major performance jumps, people will not move to the new OS. This was proved with Vista and businesses are saying the same about Win7. They will only be moving to Win7 if/when MS finally kills support out for XP. The vast majority of Vista sales have been OEM installs on pre-built boxes, not enthusiasts upgrading their OS.

Actually this is false. Microsoft NEVER starts a new OS till the current Beta OS is released. Windows 7 work started the day that the Vista build went RTM. The same will be done once Windows 7 hits RTM stages.

Till that point all efforts are on getting the OS fixed and ready for release. There is not a team of OS developers that gets split off from this project to work on Windows 8.

This article is pre-mature and couldnt be further from the truth. Coming from Tom's Hardware is strange. I would have suspected The Register or the Inq for the source.

I understand all efforts and resources are being put towards polishing up Windows 7 at this point. But from what I can understand, Toms just reported this word for word. I'm in no way saying I know 1/4 of what you know about Microsoft and how they work, but this is taken from Microsofts job posting-

"For the upcoming version of Windows, new critical features are being worked on including cluster support and support for one way replication. The core engine is also being reworked to provide dramatic performance improvements. We will also soon be starting major improvements for Windows 8 where we will be including innovative features which will revolutionize file access in branch offices."

Does this part not lead one to believe that Windows 8 has already started being worked on?-

"We will also soon be starting major improvements for Windows 8"

This isn't Toms or anyone else talking about a rumour, but a job posting Microsoft has on their site that they provide a direct link to. Unless this is some sort of spoof site? haha.

Windows 8 is not being worked on. Certain aspects of the OS that may be included in Windows 8, yeah sure. But Windows 8 itself is not being worked on.

Anyone remember WinFS? That is STILL being worked on even after it was dropped from Vista so many years ago. Becuase they do still plan on getting it out with a Windows version at some point. So can we say that they are working on Windows 10 cause they are working on WinFS? No.

Microsoft is always working on a few hundreds products at once. Some are part of the OS cycle, some are not. Some are part of the Cloud thing they are working on, some are part of the Live Mesh series they are working on, some are going to be part of Win8.

But simply put they are not working on Win8. They may be working on aspects of some features that will be included but they are not working on the OS itself. That will not be started till Win7 hits RTM.

Put it this way, many people say that Win7 is jsut Vista with some updates. So by that point of view you could say that they were working on Win7 since 2005. Yet it wont be released to 2009. Even though they only worked on certain aspects of the OS after the release of Vista there are still aspects of Vista in it.

but the truth is they did not work on Win7 during Vista. They did not start work on it till Vista went RTM. Just as they are not going to work on Win8 till Win7 goes RTM. Working on a single aspect that may be included into the OS later does not mean they are working on the OS itself. 1 single aspect doesnt make a OS.

Windows 8 is not being worked on. Certain aspects of the OS that may be included in Windows 8, yeah sure. But Windows 8 itself is not being worked on.

Anyone remember WinFS? That is STILL being worked on even after it was dropped from Vista so many years ago. Becuase they do still plan on getting it out with a Windows version at some point. So can we say that they are working on Windows 10 cause they are working on WinFS? No.

Microsoft is always working on a few hundreds products at once. Some are part of the OS cycle, some are not. Some are part of the Cloud thing they are working on, some are part of the Live Mesh series they are working on, some are going to be part of Win8.

But simply put they are not working on Win8. They may be working on aspects of some features that will be included but they are not working on the OS itself. That will not be started till Win7 hits RTM.

Put it this way, many people say that Win7 is jsut Vista with some updates. So by that point of view you could say that they were working on Win7 since 2005. Yet it wont be released to 2009. Even though they only worked on certain aspects of the OS after the release of Vista there are still aspects of Vista in it.

but the truth is they did not work on Win7 during Vista. They did not start work on it till Vista went RTM. Just as they are not going to work on Win8 till Win7 goes RTM. Working on a single aspect that may be included into the OS later does not mean they are working on the OS itself. 1 single aspect doesnt make a OS.

Maybe you're wrong? Funny how they work on the successor to the Xbox 360 prior to the release.
There should always be a brain trust storming up ideas on new releases, whether you haven't released a new product or not.

Maybe you should find out more information about me before you make a judgement like that.

I am not wrong. I know this cause i talk to the developers all the time. I have IM chats, Email convos with them along with much more contact with them.

XBOX is a different division of Microsoft than Windows. Just as Live is. What XBOX does has not relation to what the Windows Division does at all.

haha owned.

but yeah, i i find it kinda fast i mean, vista is still new and to be releasing Win7 that fast i donno, i have yet to try 7 tho so i cant say that i wouldn't update :) so were just goint to have to wait and see

I'm pretty sure Windows 7 is coming out after Vista so soon for a reason. I almost wonder if M$ had this planned from the release of Vista. I realize Xbox and Windows are in completely different divisons, but if they can release the Xbox 360 when they knew it was going to have problems then anything's possible with a Windows release. Not to turn this into a bashing thread by any means.

I'm stoked on 7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom