Metadata and freespace defragmentation changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kloppstock

Baseband Member
Im having issues with sloppy computer performance over time, which means that after computer restart
it goes really fasst to load things and klick around, after 1 hour you start to feel a down change that increases

i have tracked the problem with my defrag program Perfect disc
when i restart the computer im doing as perfect disc to often suggest this days, a offline defragmentation pass
after that allways a spart placement pass, the end result gives exellent statistic over the following values

however what you see here is that metadata and fress space fragmentation is allready on its way to get crappy values
after less than 1 hour, free space will soon go to poor value in somo hour, and remember the navigation speed goes in motion with this result
so its accually nothing that points towards that its infact a virus in my system only :)

what i dont can understand is how this 2 values can live-change when the new-defraged harddrive's (C:\ system) files are untouched, there is no file
movment on this drive, well its a splitted harddrive, and the other part of it (D:\) is getting new files constantley, but i dont know if that can affect

is there anything i can do to prevent this values from dropping as thei do, i dont even know what thei indivual mean adn their differences
but if perfect disc choose i shall defrag 4 times a day now, it have not been like this before, atleast not that you can connect it wit crapp-performance
that floats up & down with it, especially metadata seem to be important, but what doesthat value change with?

look here at the fine statistic, still it want to redo it over and over again, and im getting peak performance everythime, that holds for 1 hour

Sorry to tell you but your information on Drive C is always changing. The Pagefile, Cache and internet Cache files are all on the C drive. Which just using the PC causes those values to change constantly.

If you want a solution. Get a better defrag program. O&O or Ashampoo Magical Defrag.

Sorry to tell you but your information on Drive C is always changing. The Pagefile, Cache and internet Cache files are all on the C drive. Which just using the PC causes those values to change constantly.

If you want a solution. Get a better defrag program. O&O or Ashampoo Magical Defrag.

I have manually moved the pagefile from C:\ thou, i only leaved 10-10 Mb page for C:\

the thing is that windows own defrag-soft dont judge that C:\ needs defrag, its only perfect disc, but the thing is as i said the performance feels that its in motion with the crappy metadata-value changes perfect disc warns about

Because the Perfect Disk software keeps trying to defrag when it has no reason to. Get better Defrag software that doesnt feel the need to run when it isnt. You may have moved the pagefile but you still have the cache and internet cache files on teh C:\ drive. So Perfect Disk sees that there has been some changes to the drive and wants to defrag it. This shouldnt be the case.

O&O or Ashampoo would not do this and they are great Defrag programs.

I have manually moved the pagefile from C:\ thou, i only leaved 10-10 Mb page for C:\

the thing is that windows own defrag-soft dont judge that C:\ needs defrag, its only perfect disc, but the thing is as i said the performance feels that its in motion with the crappy metadata-value changes perfect disc warns about

Maybe some bug in the analysis or idle defrag algorithm of PD? Could also be due to metadata like the hiberfile or USnJrnl constantly changing? Anyway, defrag shouldn't kick in unnecessarily. My Diskeeper 2k8 which is set on full auto defrag for all drives kicks in only for a few minutes daily to defragment the few fragmented files of the day. It doesn't go nuts every hour:D

The thing about PefectDisk is it tends to be too perfect which makes defragging unnecessarily long. It also has the habit of purposely fragmenting files by straddling them across unmovable files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom