Messed up a file conversion

jeffismyname

Beta member
So I downloaded a large file in 8 parts and extracted them with winrar. When they were done extracting each of them contained a .iso file. I was trying to figure out how to mount them and ended up double clicking it. It gave me the option to convert to a winrar archive and I made the mistake of clicking that. Now I cant figure out how to go back. I deleted all of the extracted files and re downloaded the files and extracted again, but now they are all automatically winrar archives instead of .iso files. Is there any way to fix this?

Don't extract the files like that manually - when you get a download that comes rar'd in separate parts, they need to be unpacked as a single ISO.
Normally the files will be named in sequence like "rar01.rar" "rar02.rar" etc.
If that's the case, download 7zip and right click on ONLY the first one in the series and unpack it - 7zip should automatically detect the other parts and extract the whole ISO in one go.

Thank you. I was going off of a tutorial I saw that came with the download link, but I'll try it this way. So I've right clicked the part 1 file and went to 7zip. Should I be clicking on extract from there? I don't know if this matters, but the download is for omnisphere. There are 8 CDs that need to be inserted during the installation process at separate times so that's when you click on the iso files during the tutorial I've seen

Last edited:
Yes - once you've opened 7zip on that first rar, it should show you the ISO inside with a complete name e.g. "omnisphere.iso"

Could be a download where you do need to extract the ISOs separately tho, in which case follow the instructions that came with the download. Extract with 7zip anyway and uninstall winrar (extract all 8 rar files if extracting just the 1st rar doesn't create one big ISO). With winrar uninstalled you shouldn't hit any issues with mounting the ISOs per the instructions you have

Back
Top Bottom