media test failure??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane12m

In Runtime
When I first start my laptop it runs this weird media test.. on a black screen that looks like dos mode and then it says media test failure..I just got this computer back from repairs and they said it was in factory condition...well how do I fix this guys!

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like something Compaq installed. Dont know exactly what it is so cant really advise on what to do. Can you get a pic of it or soemthing?

ok its weird it runs this media test and it then says fails and closes then continues running this happens upon bootup and when i wake it up from hibernate......I couldn't take a good pic but here is what I could take..

OH and also when I click shutdown on my computer it like trys to but it just never does it gets to a black screen and all the lights are still on then I have to hold the button down

it makes me mad

thanks in advance

In your BIOS, try to find your boot device priority and put your main hdd at number 1 (a given different BIOS will show this option differently than others, so I dont know exactly what this will look like). This will make your computer boot up directly fron the hdd, rather than through the floppy drive or network card. the media test failiure is telling you that wherever it is first trying to boot is not working. If it eventauly boots up, then it is eventually trying to boot from the hdd after the first failed attempts of booting elsewhere. If this doesnt work, or if your computer isn't booting up at all, then you proably have a bigger problem.

About shutting down... are you shutting down through the start menu or are you just shutting down by pressing the power button on the computer? If you're using the power button, then go to

Control Pannel
Power Options
Click the "Advanced" tab

Under the "when I press the power button on my computer" dropdown, select "shut down" or " ask me what to do"

Im going to start then shutdown(how i turn off)

and about the computer its brand new I had some issues with computer crashing when I played games and i just got it back from repairs??

Have you tried changing the boot device priority yet? (my above post)

If so, did that solve your first problem?

The shutting down problem is a weird one. Im not familiar with a way that the computer might have been set to hybernate or go into standby when you shut down via the start menu, so I would assume that that is not the case.

Your computer might be having trouble shutting down all of the programs and processes that it has to run. Giving it less work to do in that area might help.

Try this:

START
RUN
enter "msconfig"
under the "general" tab, select "Selective Startup"
uncheck the "load startup items" box

This will stop a lot of programs from starting up immediately when you sart the computer. Most of them also wont have to be shut down when you shut the computer down, so this might make things run more smoothly

If you go to the "startup" tab, you will see these programs.

All boxes should be unchecked, because of what I just told you to do
check the boxes corresponding to the things that you know you do want to start at startup and ask about things if you are unsure about them. Everything here can be reversed, so dont worry too much about permanantly causing a problem.

beyond that, if the people repairing your computer messed it up/ didnt repair it, then take it back and demand that it is fixed for free. Its ridicilous that a computer "professional" would accept money for a repair and return a computer in the shape that yours is in. If possible, get your money back and take it somewhere else

The PXE that your seeing is called the "Preboot eXecution Environment" Its used in domain environments or OEM's to preload computers with software or OS's.

as other ppl have stated entering the bios and changing the boot device priority will fix this.

under msconfig disable everything except your anti-virus or firewall software.

you may also wanna try cleaning the registry which will help in your shutdown times.

try this... Download CCleaner 1.41.544 - filehippo.com

if you still have issue's try doing some spyware scan's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom