Media player won't open - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 11:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Media player won't open

Hey,

I clicked on my Windows Media Player icon(10 series) and it gave me an error:

I then tried re-installing it but it gives me the same error. I then went to control panel>add or remove programs but (weird) the icon wasn't there.I went to 'search' but it won't open and the 'help and support' won't open as well. So in short everything related to Windows(XP professional) is NOT opening.What do I do, help would be appreciated , thnx .

Edit:I also tried windows updates but that is not opening as well.

HELP ME!!!!

Old 01-09-2005, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Nobody? plz this seems like a big deal to me. Stupid windows updates aint opening!!!

Old 01-09-2005, 09:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

Did you try system restore?

And how did you un-install MP 10?
Old 01-09-2005, 11:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

click the add or remove window components to the left in the add or remove programs section
Old 01-10-2005, 04:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
Did you try system restore?

And how did you un-install MP 10?
System Restore won't open and I didn't uninstall MP10 , because I can't find where the un-installer file , the icon is not even in the add or remove programs in the control panel so I just tried to over-write it by re-installing but it gives me the same error.

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
click the add or remove window components to the left in the add or remove programs section
I tried that - no use.

Edit : I tried to open paint to paste a screenshot but PAINT is missing as well. A pop up says that it's missing shortcut.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

A simple fix would be to re-install XP. To remove MP, go to your add/remove sections, go to add/remove windows components and you will find it there.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
A simple fix would be to re-install XP. To remove MP, go to your add/remove sections, go to add/remove windows components and you will find it there.
I don't want to re-install man.Isn't there another solution? Or Can I just format the drive where windows is installed? because most of my important data are on the other 2 drives.

Ok I think I know why I might have these problems:

A night before I had this WMP error , Norton Anti Virus 2003 popped up and said that there is an Internet program error and i'd have to un-install and re-install it again. I couldn't find the 2003 cd so I instead installed the 2002 ver of Norton. It then didn't get registered so I uninstalled that. Then I installed the free edition of AVG anti virus from grisoft.com and scanned my whole computer.

But I don't understand because after that I was watching a few videos on Windows Media Player and it was working perfectly. I switched off my pc , turned it back on and then these weird things started happeneing.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just format the drive Windows is installed on. Did you try to un-install MP?
Old 01-10-2005, 10:03 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

Don't reformat yet. Try reinstalling first. That should just steamroll over all the windows settings and straighten things out.

Seriously, though, dude. If you can't get MP to work, your Windows-Paint won't work and your Add-Remove process ain't functioning correctly, you've messed things up royal.

What have you been doing to this poor machine?

I know you don't like it, but it sounds like you've got serious problems and you're going to have to spend time with this. There are no simple solutions for a destroyed machine...........within the legal and non-explosive realm.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 01-10-2005, 10:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by ShoobieRat
Don't reformat yet. Try reinstalling first. That should just steamroll over all the windows settings and straighten things out.

Seriously, though, dude. If you can't get MP to work, your Windows-Paint won't work and your Add-Remove process ain't functioning correctly, you've messed things up royal.

What have you been doing to this poor machine?

I know you don't like it, but it sounds like you've got serious problems and you're going to have to spend time with this. There are no simple solutions for a destroyed machine...........within the legal and non-explosive realm.
Ok I hear ya but by re-installing won't all my data get deleted. Won't I have to re-install my graphic card again? wont I have to re-install my internet again? Firstly I dont know how to re-install and plus I fear that I'll lose all my data.

Closed Thread