Media Icons - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 10-06-2004, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Media Icons

This is your (actually my) final chance guys.

I posted WEEKS ago about an icon problem I was having with media files. One minute they're all displaying the RealPlayer icon (all of my MP3, AVI etc. files are RP10 associated). The next minute the crappy default 'I don't know' one is what I get. No warning, no excuse. All files still LAUNCHED RealPlayer when double clicked, simply wouldn't display the RP10 icon.

Okay. Not a problem. I try reinstalling RealPlayer and setting it as the default player (again) for all media files. Didn't work. Okay. So I try the Control Panel -> Folders Options -> File Types bit? Didn't work either. Not even trying to change the icon for a SINGLE file would work. It always reverts back to the crappy icon. IconChanger or similar software? Nup. By now of course I'm starting to suspect RP10 itself, so I remove RP10 completely, set WMP9 as the default player and expect ITS icon to be displayed. Nup. Same thing.

This is by now obviously getting beyond a joke. In 4 hours I'm going to have to bite the bullet and backup everything, reformat my HD, reload etc. etc. on the off chance that it will fix it.

The clock is ticking

Old 10-06-2004, 06:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

Do u have any other media/audioplayers installed?

TheMajorMMX - Intel P200 MMX @ 225Mhz - V-Tech (PcPartner) Baby-AT mb w/ Intel Triton TX chipset - Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 w/ 16MB - 256MB M-Tec SDRAM - Still running.....
Old 10-06-2004, 12:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

pretty drastic move to reformat just cuz the icon isn't pretty. long as the file still opens like its supposed to.....
Old 10-07-2004, 04:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you Major, Jak. You are indeed right Jak. Silly to have to reformat etc. for the sake of an icon. But I'm a perfectionist you see, and if I can't figure out something this simple I should turn in my engineering degree. The only consolation is that NOONE can work it out. Okay (Major), I have have tried every possible combination and permutation of media players. WMP9, RP10 together installed, RP10 only, WMP9 only. Nothing. Microsoft of course won't talk to me (Me?). They probably don't know either. Anyway, about to reformat. Cheers.
Closed Thread