Maybe I Can Be Directed To..

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud__y__zer

Beta member
Hi,

I posted a series of questions ( which I will repost below here) and nobody seemed to know the answers to them. Maybe someone could give me a link to a simular web site as this one where I can repost my questions, or even a windows site.....IF the info I need is available there. I've been to a few with no sucess.

Thank you,
Ken

****************REPOST***************************

I'm using Windows XP and had two questions about the start-up programs/processes. First of all, for example, when I start up my computer ICQ automatically loads. I rarely use this program and would rather not have it load up when I start up my computer. These type of programs are shown on the taskbar on the right hand side.
How do you disable these type of programs from loading when you start your computer?
Second, while your computer is running, if you hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete the task manager will pop up. When I click on the PROCESSES tab I see a ton of programs running. Here are some of them: EXPLORER.EXE, SPOOLSV.EXE, PCTSPK.EXE, realplay.exe, and SVCHOST.EXE (there are 5 of these running at the same time). What I want to know is:
a)How do I find out what exactly these programs are?
b)How do I disable the unwanted ones from loading when I start up my computer?
One other thing I was wondering about. When I'm on my computer, every once in a while, an icon will show up on the right hand side of the task bar with this message attached to it, "New hardware has been detected on your computer" then it lists the new hardware as being"UUUEU U UUUUUEUUUUUUUUUU" I never have installed it, looks like a virus to me. I have Norton and get updates on a regular basis, Norton doesnt seem to think its a virus. When I search my computer by entering the name of the file, nothing shows up on my computer as being named that.
How do I find where its located on my computer? How do I find out what this program is? How do I delete it?

Thank you for your time,
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom