Maybe dumb question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bulldrac

Beta member
I have a Dell XPS 400, recently the HDD (samsung 250gb)went bad ( has unrecoverable data errors ). I bought a new Seagate Barricuda 500gb and a external USB HD case. I used the OS disc dell sent with the system, but it didn't have any drivers for some of the hardware. I used the external HD to get the network card driver, so I have net access to download the others hopefully. My question is: If I use cloning software to copy everything to my new HDD, will it corrupt my new one? Sounds like a dumb question, but the thought had crossed my mind and I figuered I might ask here and see if any of the computer geniouses could help me. Any input is much appreciated!

Well the system diagnostic tests said certain numbers were corrupt and unrecoverable....so does that mean I shouldn't clone the old HDD?
Sorry for being a little ignorant.

well, its probably more of a physical problem with the drive vs virus/malware.
you should be fine, but if you have corrupt sectors in the old drive you will likely lose some of your data.
if you had viruses on the old drive it would transfer over to the new.

Try running a Checkdisk on the bad drive. If it's recognized within Windows on your new install: My Computer > Right click the drive > properties > Tools tab > Under 'Error-Checking' go to Check Now > check both boxes > hit OK > may say that it will be done on next reboot. If it does, then reboot and let it do its thing.

I have the old drive in the external usb case, when I restarted earlier it ran through and fixed or moved what it could. Thats the only reason I was able to get the drivers :)
It appears all my files are there. The reason I was thinking of cloning is because it seems alot is missing just using the Dell disc. Would I be better off just copying what I need and pasting into the new drive?

I have the old drive in the external usb case, when I restarted earlier it ran through and fixed or moved what it could. Thats the only reason I was able to get the drivers :)
It appears all my files are there. The reason I was thinking of cloning is because it seems alot is missing just using the Dell disc. Would I be better off just copying what I need and pasting into the new drive?

You can copy saved files to programs but not the registry enteries unless you copyed the whole drive/partition cloned.

f you are asking if you need to reinstall progams the answer is yes. unless you clone the drive.

IF you know what Registry Entries you could back those up along with backing up the Registry as a whole. But it is not something that should be considered a option. IF your Registry is corrupted backing up the whole thing and placing it on a fresh install will only adversely affect your system.

IF you know what Registry Entries you could back those up along with backing up the Registry as a whole. But it is not something that should be considered a option. IF your Registry is corrupted backing up the whole thing and placing it on a fresh install will only adversely affect your system.

I was unaware of taking a back up of a registry and pasting it over a different install, no kiddin.. thanks mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom