Master Password? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 08:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default Master Password?

Is there a way in windows that i can lock my computer, and no one can do anything without a password? Or is the only way to sign out and password protect my account? I'd like something i can just flick on when i leave the room for a few min, instead of exiting windows. People in my house are snooping around my computer when im gone, and i want my privacy.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher
Default Re: Master Password?

What about the built-in lock computer option? Or is this something that is only available to domain users on XP Pro? I havent messed around with home versions or non-domain PC's very much.

Old 07-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Repeat Offender

Hold down the windows key and hit L. It will not log you off but use the fast user switching option. Looks like you are logged off, but you aren't. Then you click your user, enter your password and presto, you are just like you were when you left. Programs keep running, etc.

If your equation requires either a complex combination of variables to get the desired result OR you can't seem to get the result regardless of the variables....it ain't your variables, it's your constant.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

give yourself a password on user accounts.

go to display poperties. then screensaver. then set it for 5-10 minutes. then check "on resume password protect".
Old 07-19-2007, 01:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to kfc469

make a password for your account first. then,

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
give yourself a password on user accounts.

go to display poperties. then screensaver. then set it for 5-10 minutes. then check "on resume password protect".
then
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave1984 View Post
Hold down the windows key and hit L. It will not log you off but use the fast user switching option. Looks like you are logged off, but you aren't. Then you click your user, enter your password and presto, you are just like you were when you left. Programs keep running, etc.
the end

Old 07-19-2007, 02:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Thanks guys that sounds like it'll work. I already password protected my account, so not i just gotta follow those other steps and im good.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to mssssee2 Send a message via Yahoo to mssssee2

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdave1984 View Post
Thanks for showing the shortcut key, I only knew how to do it from start menu.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan1121 View Post
Is there a way in windows that i can lock my computer, and no one can do anything without a password?

go into the BIOS (usually esc. or F2 at startup) and set a password. it is almost impossible to get past unless someone actually opens up the computer and sets a jumper, presses a reset button, or takes out the battery.
"Naming them would either make it clear that Linux is not infringing at all (which is quite possible, especially if the patents are bad), or would make it possible to avoid infringing by coding around whatever silly thing they claim,"

"So the whole 'We have a list and we're not telling you' should tell you something. Don't you think that if Microsoft actually had some really foolproof patent, they'd just tell us and go, 'nyaah, nyaah, nyaah!'?"

whole story here: http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-microsoft-put
Old 07-19-2007, 05:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmwrestler View Post
go into the BIOS (usually esc. or F2 at startup) and set a password. it is almost impossible to get past unless someone actually opens up the computer and sets a jumper, presses a reset button, or takes out the battery.
he isn't wanting to shut the computer down
Old 07-19-2007, 05:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

It'll be funny if his family knows about rainbow tables.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Closed Thread