mapping MP3 player to drive - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 10-01-2005, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default mapping MP3 player to drive

I have a Benq joybee 120 mp3 player. and am running win xp pro. It is not a serious problem but mildly irritating:

When i plug the mp3 player into my computer (via USB) it appears as a new volume and is displayed under my computer as a new hard drive... or at least it used to.

A while ago i set up a server running linux to use as my main fileserver and mapped the hard drive as a network drive under the letter H (the standard drive letter for a network drive). The drive on the linux box is mounted whenever i log onto the computer.

The problem is when i pulg the MP3 player in it seems to want to use drive H. since this is already in use i cannot access the MP3 player. I can leave the mp3 player plugged in and log off and log on again in which case it mounts the mp3 player and not the network drive. But if i have music i want to transfer to the mp3 player from the network drive i cant since the drive is no longer mounted.

I know the obvious answer is to change the drive letter for my network drive, but i like it as H, it makes sense as H, and network drives are normally labeled as H. What i would like to do if possible is change the letter that the mp3 player mounts as so that i can use both at the same time.

The mp3 player needs no driver (well it uses a windows one - there are no drivers available from the benq website). cheers for any help.
Closed Thread