Map a flash drive mount as B

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ

Solid State Member
Hi,

We are trying to make it so when any user connects his flash drive to a computer the drive will map as B: currently we can change the drive after they have loaded it but this does us no good as the mapping is drive specific. Any ideas would be appreciated!

I havnt been able to do that. As every different USB key is different. you would have to have the same key (brand, size etc..) But if its for multiple PC you will have to manually do it as windows maps it to E:

I have used several USB Keys and they always come up as the same letter no matter which one i put in. It is I: for me since i have a couple of externals hooked up and a Image drive. But i have 3 USB and all 3 show up no matter what. Why yours is being difficult i dont understand.

The issue is right now the flash drives come up as G:. G: is a mapped network drive so this is the main problem. This is a training lab we have for new teachers and they often use flash drives. The computers do not have floppys so there is no reason to reserve B and we do not want to have to remap a drive for roughly 3300 teachers just to fix the issue.

Makaveli213 said:
I have used several USB Keys and they always come up as the same letter no matter which one i put in. It is I: for me since i have a couple of externals hooked up and a Image drive. But i have 3 USB and all 3 show up no matter what. Why yours is being difficult i dont understand.

That is because windows is assigning it the lowest available letter

This is an exmaple of why you need a different letter

When I am progarmming at school, all my files are on drive H:, so in my C++ code it refrences another file on H.

I copy everything to my USB key, but its drive G, so you need to change where it references stuff everytime you work on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom