Many ways to remove IE 7 Betas 1-2-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Installation Errors

If you receive notification that the installation failed you should always reboot your system to ensure that any changes made during setup are completely undone.

For more information on the problem, you can refer to the log files at:
%windir%\ie7beta3_main.log
%windir%\ie7beta3.log
%windir%\ie7beta3Uninst.log

where %windir% is the location of your Windows directory, which can usually be found at C:\Windows.

If you receive the error "Setup was unable to open the log file for writing: C:\WINDOWS\ie7beta3_main.log", log in with a user account that has administrator privileges and re-run IE 7 Beta setup.

Updating or Reinstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3

You cannot install Internet Explorer 7 over itself. If you want to reinstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 (or install a newer version) you must first remove any existing Internet Explorer 7 versions.

Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3 and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003

Click “Start,” and then click “Control Panel.”
Click “Add or Remove Programs.”
Scroll down to "Windows Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3", select it, and then click "Change/Remove".
If you cannot find any Internet Explorer 7 entry in "Add or Remove Programs", run
%windir%\ie7beta3\spuninst\spuninst.exe. (To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.)

Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, Beta 2 Preview, or Beta 1

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, Beta 2 Preview, or Beta 1 and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP or Windows Server 2003

Click "Start", and then click "Control Panel"
Click "Add or Remove Programs"
Scroll down to "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2" or "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview", select it, and then click "Change/Remove".
If not found, check "Show Updates" at the top of the dialog box, scroll down the list to "Windows XP - Software Updates", select "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview" or "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1" and then click "Change/Remove".
If you cannot find any Internet Explorer 7 entry in "Add or Remove Programs", try running these commands. Each is for a different release of Internet Explorer 7 so only one will succeed.

%windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta1$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. (To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.)
%windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. (To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.)
%windir%\$NtUninstallie7b2pmx$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. (To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.)
%windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta2$\spuninst\spuninst.exe. (To do this, you need to have "view hidden folders" enabled.)
Hangs During Uninstall--If the uninstall process hangs while removing Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, delete any custom sound schemes created after installing the Internet Explorer 7 Beta and retry the uninstall.

Internet Explorer 7 Fails to Install from Specified User Account -- If you see an error message saying you cannot uninstall Internet Explorer 7 from this user account, and you're sure it's the account you used to install, or the original installation account has been removed, you can bypass the check by:

Click 'Run" and type 'regedit' from the Start menu
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft]InternetExplorer
Right click the 'Internet Explorer' key, choose 'new', and then 'DWORD value'
Enter 'InstalledByUser' as the name and hit 'Enter' to finish creating the new register key
Retry uninstalling Internet Explorer 7
Zone Alarm--Zone Alarm users with 6.5.700 need to uninstall Zone Alarms prior to installing IE 7 Beta 3. Users with 6.1.744 are not impacted.

Network Diagnostics for Windows XP (KB914440)--When the Network Diagnostics Tool for Windows XP (KB914440) is downloaded and installed during installation of Internet Explorer 7 Beta by choosing the "Install latest updates" option in setup, the Network Diagnostics Tool for Windows XP will not appear in Add/Remove Programs. Uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta will cause the Add/Remove Programs entry to appear. to uninstall the tool without uninstalling Internet Explorer 7 Beta, follow these steps:

click 'Start' and then 'Run'.
Enter this command and press enter: %windir%\$NtUninstallkb914440$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

or

1. Go to Control Panel
2. Click Add or Remove Programs
3. Click Show Updates checkbox
4. Click whatever version of IE7 you have. For example “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 or 3 Preview”
5. Click the Change/Remove button

Uninstalling IE7 will leave you with a fully-functional IE6 and allow you to install the latest release, IE7 Beta 3, which we recommend for all IE7 beta users so they benefit from the latest bug fixes and security updates.

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2, Beta 2 Preview, or Beta 1:

Click "Start", and then click "Control Panel"
Click "Add or Remove Programs"
Scroll down to "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2" or "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview", select it, and then click "Change/Remove".
If not found, check "Show Updates" at the top of the dialog box, scroll down the list to "Windows XP - Software Updates", select "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview" or "Internet Explorer 7 Beta 1" and then click "Change/Remove".

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3:

Click “Start,” and then click “Control Panel.”
Click “Add or Remove Programs.”
Scroll down to "Windows Internet Explorer 7 Beta 3", select it, and then click "Change/Remove".
If you still canÂ’t uninstall, read onÂ…

Note: %windir% is your Windows directory and usually located at C:\Windows

“I can’t find any IE7 entry in Add/Remove Programs. What should I do?”
You can run the uninstaller directly using the commands below. Each is for a different beta release so only one will work. Note that to see these folders, you need ‘view hidden folders’ enabled.
IE 7 Release
Uninstall Command

Beta 3
%windir%\ie7beta3\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Beta 2
%windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta2$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Beta 2 Preview from March
%windir%\$NtUninstallie7b2pmx$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Beta 2 Preview from January
%windir%\$NtUninstallie7bet2p$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

Beta 1
%windir%\$NtUninstallie7beta1$\spuninst\spuninst.exe

“I don’t have those folders (%windir%\$NtUninstallie7-----$ or %windir%\ie7beta3). What now?”
Open %windir%\ie7*.log (not ie7*_main.log) and look for a line something like this:
time_stamp: CreateUninstall = 1,Directory = C:\WINDOWS\$NtUninstallie7-----$
If found, the uninstall folder was created but later deleted.
Please tell us what happened. Did you delete it to free disk space? Do you run a tool that might delete it? Something else? We know there are some cleaner tools that remove the uninstall directory. WeÂ’re working with the vendors to have their tools updated and we changed our directory name in Beta 3 to prevent this problem in the future.
Call product support (1-866-876-4926)
If you have a line like this:
time_stamp: CreateUninstall = 0Â…

Please tell us right away. Did you reinstall Beta 3 or is this in a Beta 2 log?
Call product support (1-866-876-4926)
"I'm told I need to be the same user to uninstall but I am the same user."
Add this key to the registry:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer]
@=""
"InstalledByUser"=dword:00000000

Alternatively, you can take the indented section above, paste it into a text file, and save it as a .reg file. Run the .reg file and then try uninstalling.
“I get a warning about other programs that may not work after removing IE7. What’s the warning all about?”
The dialog contains a list of programs that may not work after uninstalling IE7. The purpose is to prevent out-of-order uninstall of related programs. If a dependent program is left on the system without its prerequisite, it may stop functioning, require reinstallation, or even cause your system to stop working properly if it is an OS component. The details of this are described in KB 823836.

While this warning is important, especially if for some reason youÂ’re uninstalling security updates or hotfixes, I want to clarify that the programs listed are everything you've installed since installing IE7. The uninstaller doesn't have a way to detect what updates are actually related so it lists everything. That's why an unrelated application like Windows Live Messenger may appear in the list depending on the installation order.

or

Copy the un-install directory off another machine that had IE 7.0 Beta 1,2,0r 3 installed then run spuninst manually

If you are on a Novel Network

I went to uninstall IE7 Beta 2 so I could install Beta 3. After it uninstalled and rebooted the machine, I could not log on (FYI - we are on a Novell Network). At first I thought I was not getting a login box at all, but come to find out it was just taken a really long time. When I entered my user name and password I received the following message:

"A required network service has not started. Please check your error log for details."

When I looked at the System Event Log, I found the following:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Description:
The Novell NetWare Resource Manager service failed to start due to the
following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

After digging around in the registry I discovered that the "Novell NetWare Resource Manager service" is a file called resmgr.sys that should be in the system32\Netware folder, but when I went to that folder the file was not there. Some how uninstalling IE7 deleted/corrupted the file. I copied the file from another machine and restarted the PC and everything was back to normal.

or

Simply delete the folder "\Program Files\Internet Explorer" and then install ie7beta3. If you want to be safe, rename it. (I deleted it anyway, cos I know it's gonna work.:p)

But winxp won't let you delete/rename the folder, so probably you would like to use this software first: Unlocker... it's free.

After you install the unlocker, right click on the folder "\Program Files\Internet Explorer" and then choose "Unlocker"... Now you can delete/rename it.

Download Unlocker Here ---> http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

or

try this method:

Use dos command 'copy' to overwrite the wininet.dll in a cmd window (Start/Run/cmd.exe), like

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>copy wininet7.dll wininet.dll

When you are asked "overwrite?(Y/N)", say yes.

Here wininet7.dll is the one (wininet.dll) you get from ie7beta3 pack.

Done!

It works at my computer (xp sp2, ie7beta3). I replaced my wininet.dll from IE7bt3(700ish kb) by the one from IE6(600ish kb), successfully.

Then as expected, I got a bunch of errors from all kinds of software, including adobe reader... then i copied it back.:)

or

The method is simple, really. Just rename the file first(which is allowed... i know it's strange), then copy (or say overwrite). Still in a command window(Start/Run/cmd.exe), do the following:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>ren wininet.dll wininet.bak

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32>copy wininet7.dll wininet.dll
1 file(s) copied

That's it!

If you do it slowly (but not tooooooo slow please), you will be asked, Overwrite (Y/N)? just say yes. This time, it won't be a problem.

I tried this back and forth for several times. It works on my computer. Winxp sp2, ie7beta3 with wininet.dll(743kb), a file (wininet.dll) from ie6(641kb), as I mentioned above and in previous notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom