Many Problems With Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doorknob

Solid State Member
Where to start...

Throughout the post the used OS is Windows XP.

Well, the first of the problems probably date back sometime about six months ago. They're not really problems, but some of them were that some games (e.g. Cave Story, Iji) just suddenly started to quit during few moments into the gameplay and reboot computer all by itself. Also notable was that no matter how much times I reinstalled the graphics driver for my GeForce FX5500, some games didn't run properly (Half Life 1 mod: Natural Selection) while others ran without single problems what so ever (Half Life 2).

Anyway, with about six months later, my computer used to run fine and good until suddenly one day it decided to restart itself and not boot anymore. I then proceeded to format my computer. The format was successful, but my computer was still in a wreck. In a wreck as in after only a few moments of getting many things started the internet started to just stop, the right click open with button always gave error when used, and many other program errors which I can't remember. Anyway after the format I reinstalled most of the computer programs I had and ran a quick check through my computer with Kaspersky Anti Virus Program. Kaspersky surprised me with showing more then 1400 problems in my computer, with most of them being the windows and system32 folder. Since I had just recently formatted and didn't have much to lose, I went along deleting most of the things Kaspersky told me to delete, restarted the computer, and couldn't boot in again.

And guess where that landed me in, back to square one. After formatting, I have installed most of the programs I had used before. I guess it'd be better if I listed the problems one by one below:

-In My Computer, whenever I try to click a drive, it doesn't open. To go in, I have to first click the address bar thing and then click to the drive I want to go to. This includes external drives such as USB drives and flashdrives. Excludes folders however.

-Some programs just simply don't work. I have installed Kaspersky again, and when I clicked on it, nothing at all appeared. Restart and waiting long enough also doesn't help. Thinking it was a virus, I went around the net looking for trustable Freeware Antivirus programs and tried Avast, Avira, and Spybot S&D, with the latter two not being even able to be installed in my computer. Avast works but I just don't trust it much with my former experience.

-In network properties, the checkmarked boxes are all grayed out but checked. I have no idea why that is. Moving on.

-In Device Manager, at network adapters, there is this mysterious 'WAN Miniport (IP)' with the network drive icon and an exclamation mark on it. I don't know how that thing got there. Currently there's two network drivers, but don't know which one is in use.

-I have a Turtle Beach soundcard and installed the drivers for it, but whenever I try to click on control panel, it always shows the "... has encountered a problem and needs to close." error. Reinstalling does not help.

(?)-Games that have not been running before are not tested yet, but I am pretty sure they still don't work at all. This still needs to be tested though.

That is all the problems I know of now. I have limited knowledge on how the computer works so excuse me if some things sounds very new to me. I do know one thing for sure though, formatting my computer definitely hasn't helped in removing problems, maybe even creating more along the way. Sometimes I almost think it might be a hardware problem. Any inputs is appreciated.

you can goto event viewer for more clues. right click my computer, click manage, expand event viewer, check application log and system log for errors.

i would disable the wan miniport device in device manager.

you can try running msconfig, select diagnostic startup, click ok and reboot. This will temporairly disable a lot of unnecessary functions of the OS. Tets the system. Check to see if the same symtoms occur.

running this wouldn't hurt Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic

this thing screams bad OS install with the my computer issue

In Application, there's a defrag error just about everywhere on the computer. I wouldn't count but would guess there's probably more then 100 of those things. Other errors include crypt32 and application errors with them regarding problems with third party and Turtle Beach driver respectively. There's also a couple of yellow warning signs beginning early the day I had formatted it new.

In system, there's errors regarding service control manager that says along the lines of Kaspersky did not respond to the start or control request. Webclient service failed to start, although I don't know what that is. There also seems to be a system restore failure. The quote is at below:

"The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC0000001' while processing the file '' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume3'. It has stopped monitoring the volume."

I have disabled WAN Miniport device and did not see any ill effects or corrections. So far so good on that part.

I ran diagnostic startup and all the same symptoms are there and still persists. Only one I don't know for sure during diagnostic startup was the network configuration, as those were not available.

Downloaded memtest and ran it at the startup of computer. Test ran fine and no errors were detected at all. Took about 20 minutes to complete and normal test was used.

for system restore. goto start > programs > accessories > system tools > disk cleanup. select c:. click More option, click clean up under system restore

follow these instructions How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP

the messages saying can't start or control request ia a service trying to start but failing. uninstall / reinstall if you can. chkdsk might help with this.

None of the suggestions worked. System restore simply just didn't start at all and chkdsk doesn't work. If doing chkdsk in My Computer the following error will occur saying Windows cannot complete the disk check and if done under cmd prompt it will always tell me to restart the computer to do the following action but either I don't see it happening or it just simply doesn't start.

I might look into options of reformatting my computer. Might quick formatting the computer be a problem when all these other problems persists?

it kinda sounds like a hardware issue with the hard drive. The drive's manufacturer prolly has a diagnostic boot cd or floppy that you can load to check it out.

it might be time for a new hard drive.

Yeah, I feared so it was a hardware related problem all this time. I just tried regular formatting and nothing changed with the problems I had previously. This computer is pretty darn ancient (Uses IDE Drives) and from what I remember from going around and base my conclusion on what I read, most hard drive lifetime usually last around four years. If that is, then it has one more happy year with me before I kick it into the garbage bin.

Thanks for the help. Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom