Not open for further replies.

Echo Kilo

Baseband Member
I have 4 partitions on my hard drive:

1) Windows 98 (set as inactive)
2) Windows 2000 (ACTIVE)
3) Linux (set as inactive)
4) Blank partition

So my computer will boot up into Windows 2000. Currently I use Paragon Partition Manager to change which one is active / inactive and then reboot.

What I think I would like to do is create another partition with a Boot Manger that will allow me to choose a partition during start up.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

It should let you choose a partition during start up already. It doesn't matter which one is active or not, when you boot your computer, a text screen allowing you to choose your posion (operating system) should come up and it will give you by default 30 secs to choose which operating system. This doesn't happen?

Well I have really only played with MandrakeLinux, v10, and I set that partition as active. It has a graphical boot screen that lets you: Boot linux normally, safe mode, Windows 98, Windows XP. (in my case).

Win2000 does not detect Linux. U have to use the Linux bootmanager (LiLo) or get third party software.
I have used Bootstar Bootmanager but I am not sure it works with linux.

Do others have experience with this?

It doesn't have a boot screen, because I hid the other partitions when I installed the OS's so each one thinks it's the only one on the disk.

This was done intentionally for testing. If possible, I'd like to get some advice from someone with lots of boot manager experience.

I booted into dos, installed a boot manager, and bamn.

Now I have a graphical menu with my various Operating Systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom