Malware,firewall,and a.v. for 64 bit windows vista Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjtwo05

Beta member
hello all im new to this forum, i just bought a new HP system with windows vista 64 bit w/sp1 my question is
it came preloaded with nortons which i dont plan on keeping what free malware,A.V.firewall ect will be compatable? thanks in advance for any help.
RJ

AVG for your Anti Virus. Zone Alarm for your firewall. An smart surfing / downloading is your best defense against malware.

Go to Norton's home page for info on how to remove there AV program it's a bugger to remove without a download from them.

Download and run the Norton Removal Tool
to remove Norton.

AV: Same as Saxon suggested, or Avast, or Avira.
FW: Comodo or ZoneAlarm
Malware: Spyware Blaster, Spybot, Spyware Terminator,

Hello,

I have to fully agree with Carnage's suggestion. It is the best course of action. If i could just take it further.

If you do plan on some shady surfing might i suggest either Firefox with

• Adblock Plus
  • NoScript
  • FlashBlock

As the extensions you use. This will help protect you the most. Opera is also a very good alternative as well. With the function of the urlfilter which is explained in full detail in the Borwser section will block almost anythign that could affect your system.

Cheers,
Mak

Adding the McAfee SiteAdvisor extension could also be a good idea. I installed it on both IE and FF.

thanks for the help its appreciated, and thanks for posting the link for the nortons removel tool:)
RJ

No problem =). I've used it many times, so I can say it works quite well. After you run it, you may want to run CCleaner's registry option, to get rid of all of the registry entries it leaves behind.

anyone using COMODO firewall i just installed it on my system and doesnt seem to be intrusive, ive always used Zone alarm SS but they dont have it available for a vista 64 bit system yet its still in testing according to the ZL site
RJ

I use Comodo on 32bit Vista, and 32bit XP. I have v2.4 on XP because I like the way its setup, but it's not supported on Vista (had to use the v3 one). I've used it for about 6 months or so, and I really like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom