Making Vista faster/smoother

Status
Not open for further replies.

fryc86

In Runtime
So I'm getting a new laptop and it is going to come with Vista on it. I've never used this os before so just had a couple quick questions. I'm going to give it a try, one because I've heard from enough people who like it well enough and, two because I don't have the tech knowledge to even attempt to uninstall it and switch it out for xp at this time.

That said, I have heard that it can be slow. I have a 2gb ram which I'm told will help, but I wanted to see if there were any tricks to making it work better and load faster. Maybe there are unnecessary programs that can be uninstalled etc. thanks

we will assume it is vist sp 1 :)
based on mine, I have all updates in my sp up to last week...so not sure what else they will patch after...but if everyone else is the same, the service pack should be complete up to around week 1 of march.

Get SP1 since it is coming out soon. Other than that get a application like TweakVi or any kind of Tweak application. That will be the only other thing you can do. But be careful those things can damage the OS just as much as they can help it.

Get SP1 since it is coming out soon. Other than that get a application like TweakVi or any kind of Tweak application. That will be the only other thing you can do. But be careful those things can damage the OS just as much as they can help it.

I'm not familiar with tweak. How can it damage the OS and is it easy to do it? Is it worth the chance to speed up Vista? thanks

The Tweak applications are used to turn of certian things within the Operating System. Sometimes those thigns are needed. Like it shuts down the Print Server Spool which is needed for Adobe to isntall correctly. So right there you are out of lunk installing Adobe cause you have that service disabled.

There are many things that can go wrong. But many of the applications will tell you what each tweak does and how it can harm your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom