Making VCD (little bit of a crisis...) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2004, 09:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Emily
Default Making VCD (little bit of a crisis...)

Ahhhhh!!!! *freaks out*

Ok, I have a project due tomorrow, and I need to make a VCD from a Flash file that I exported as a .avi. Using Sonic MyDVD, it burns all distorted and messed up - sort of slanted and the colors are messed up and such. I've burned dozens of VCDs using the same program, same drive, same media from other avi files that I downloaded (ahem... legally, of course... ), so is there some setting I'm missing or something when I export the Flash file? Or elsewhere?

Thank you sooooo much if you can help me, I'm having a bit of a heart attack here.

Old 05-26-2004, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to jaun1477

I have been told that avi is the best but never been able to use it (and it uses lots of space in the hard drive 30 minutes of tv capture 10 gig!!!!!!) and im just using a program to make avi=MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 and then burn it then i can use any dvd player to see my movies in regular cd's ( cd-r )
have you cleaned you burner lately?
have you used it a lot? i mean lot a burned cds?
maybe its time for a new program? im useing roxio cd creator 5 for the past 8 months and i do recomend it.

Sometimes its just a quick clean ( i disconect the cables and reconect after blowing dust off the plug) or something have's been install lately?
if havent seen all the dust i had when i upgraded

amd athlon xp 2400+
1 apacer 256mb unb pc2700 cl2.5
motherboard msi kt4av via kt400a chipset based
1 ??? 512 mb pc2700
1 agp 8x/4x (geforce 4 predator mx4408x)
2 year old 21 magnavox monitor
1 aquos sharp 15\"tv
Seagate 40gb hd
DC Output: 420Watts Total: +5V/0~42A, +12V/0~18A
+3.3V/0~26A, -5V/0~0.8A, -12V/0~1.0A, +5VSB/0~2.5A.
Old 05-26-2004, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via ICQ to mdshort Send a message via AIM to mdshort Send a message via Yahoo to mdshort
Wink Ahead Nero

I would suggest using Ahead Nero, a professional cd/dvd burning program. It allows you to convert almost anything to vcd, and even customize/create your own menu system.

I myself was impressed by Ahead Nero's performance.
\"With every rise, there is a fall.\"

Need a good cheap host? Click Here
Old 05-27-2004, 03:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

it must be the way Flash is exporting the AVI file which is not a standard format and causing the distortions. i would first try using another program to convert the AVI file to VCD. if that doesn't work i would blame Flash
Old 05-27-2004, 10:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Emily

The avi plays fine on my computer, it's only on the VCD that it doesn't work. I don't think it's a problem with the VCD-burning program either because I've burnt other avis to VCDs with the same program before. So I guess there's just some incompatibility between the way Flash exports the avi and MyDVD converts it to VCD. Oh well, I think I'm just going to play it on the computer instead of the TV.

Thanks for your help guys.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default looks like the problem has been solved, but this reminds me of a project I did earlier this year. My normal VCD program had disappeared, and I couldn't seem to get anything that wasn't some sort of trial edition (none of them would actually let me burn until I registered). I finally found one that let me, and it was so late and I was so tired that I didn't even check the thing once it was done. When I played the thing for the presentation, I found that the damned program had stamped it's name and the tag "-unregisterd version" throughout the entire video clip. Not going to try that again anytime soon...

Error: Keyboard not attached. Please press F1 to continue. <pre>-------OS----------Gentoo Linux-------<br>------Browser-----Mozilla Firefox-----</pre><form action="" method="get"><input type="text" name="search"> <input type="submit" name="submit" value="Search the Forums, thanks to Emily"></form>

|||Official Forum Rules|||<hr>
Closed Thread