making clone using ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

linux1880

In Runtime
Before doing this I like to ask here.I am using win 2000 and I have pretty much stuffs here already. I am talking about 30GB, Now what I want is to make a ghost bootable CD of this win2000 with anti virus and drivers only. So that it will be useful to reinstall the OS after formatting HD is it possible?

I have norton ghost software and dunno where to start.

AFAIK, you cant clone a w2k pc. You'll get a BSOD on boot stating inaccessible boot device. I think it has something to do with a HD id.

Of course you can take a ghost image of Win 2K machine.

I worked in a software testing lab and this is how we quickly switched machines from different versions of Windows running different versions of Office, AV, Browsers etc.

Ensure the PC you want an image of is set up with what you want on the image, and only what you want on the image.

Then, you should have a floppy disk which is the boot disk. Boot the machine with the floppy in place. You will then get a menu. Select the menu itme that allows you to write the image. Make sure the destination of the image has enough room to store it.

You will probably want to write the image to CD\DVD? If you have a network, write it to the a location on a machine somewhere (faster).

Basically that is it. I am not familiar with which ghosting software we were using at the time, but it was so simple. I am sure you can check Symantec's site for info on taking the image. But the steps above should cover it.

Cheers!

I should clarify. The boot disk is the ghosting boot disk supplied by Norton.

Does that make sense?

hey if you do make a clone which cd is there that has a capacity of 30gb..ok n now u say only with the ant viris n driver..!??? wot do u mean don u want the data. 30gb n all ..??

rajunpl said:
Before doing this I like to ask here.I am using win 2000 and I have pretty much stuffs here already. I am talking about 30GB, Now what I want is to make a ghost bootable CD of this win2000 with anti virus and drivers only. So that it will be useful to reinstall the OS after formatting HD is it possible?

I have norton ghost software and dunno where to start.

Depends on which version of Norton Ghost you have. If you have the latest, that's great - it is capable of backing up NTFS drives.

I only have the 2000 version of Ghost - I have not worked w/ the latest version. I don't think even the latest version has the capability to just extract yiour drivers and AV for ghosting purposes. I may be wrong about that but it's certainly not an option in my version.

What you should have done was while you were doing your W2K installation, make a backup using ghost right after you had installed your OS and AV.

And i've never heard of not being able to clone a W2K computer...absolute bull.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom