Making an all in one install disk - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 01-19-2004, 09:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Making an all in one install disk

I have always wondered how Compaq, dell, and other name brand computer retailers make their system recovery disks. Also I have wondered how they make their logos display before the POST in the bios on the computer startup.

I would like to know how to make a disk that contains the drivers for all of the components in a computer that I have built, the OS, for initial installation, and a type of recovery disk like the ones that compaq use that require the user to do nothing when the computer is being reformatted. I would reall appreciate any help on these topics, even keywords that I could use on google relating to this would be help.

Old 01-20-2004, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

i want to know this too. this is what i have seen in one sony vaio laptop restore CD: they make a bootable CD with autoexec.bat to make ghost run automatically and restores an image. i've also seen where it gives you a menu like a startup disk.DOS has menu commands so i can understand how the menu is made.

what i dont understand is how they make ghost run and start restoring an image automatically without choosing which image and where to restore it to. there must be some switches they are passing to ghost within DOS. so all we need to do is figure out what switches and options can be passed to ghost.

Old 01-20-2004, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Exactly, help us. Maybe this should be in the programming forums?
Old 01-20-2004, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie
Send a message via AIM to T1junkie

well you could create a bootable cd with just a simple batch file to run all the nessecery programs

the Recovery CDs that HP puts out are really well crunched up and mixed around so it take awhile to pull stuff out of them.

I once spent 3hrs tearing apart an HP recover disk and it was nearly fruitless tho I did find a really handy Process logger
IBM/Lenovo T43 2687DSU
Pentium M 2.0Ghz
1024 MB (DDR2 SDRAM)
80 GB Ultra ATA, 5400 RPM
14.1\" LCD
Windows XP Pro
Integrated 802.11A/B/G, Bluetooth, 10/100/1000 Eth.
Closed Thread

« Fat32 | KLEZ worm »