Major problems with Sasser worms etc. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Exclamation Major problems with Sasser worms etc.

I am having the worst luck with computers at the minute, i have formatted and reinstalled XP over 15 times in the last month due to different problems.

First it wouldn't install anything, and had a limited page file memory error when i created the user accounts. Then i tried over 5 formats but still nothing, then i put 98 on for a few weeks, ok but soon yearned for XP again as its much quicker when it works. Then a couple of times XP just refused to install. Again back to 98 for 2-3 weeks, but it was excrutiatingly slow. XP on again 4-5 times, various problems. Yesterday i format again, install XP (all goes well), create users (fine), and restart a few times, all is perfect, never been faster UNTIL.

I install BT Broadband and hook up to the internet, i contract the Sasser worm, upload 811 worm, upload 17100 worm, wrksvr worm, and several others, including that stupid NT authority shutdown ****e. Of course i can't update windows as im getting error messages saying explorer has to close etc, which upsets the clock settings. Now when i boot XP, its seems ok until i try and run anything, the process runs in the background *you can see them listed in control panel* (eg. Btbroadband.exe) but nothing is displayed, then suddenly i get an error message saying explorer has to close. Ok, explorer loads again and now i can run programs fine! Its weird.

What i do is i install AVG, Adaware, Spybot S&D, and Kerio and battle my way through to the Windows update, get all security updates, install and restart. Scan everything, found so many worms, took most off (the Sasser wouldnt move, so i used cyberscrub) and they seem to be all gone, but im still getting the error message on startup. I keep running S&D and its finding these files:
Double click - 1 entry
Avenue A, inc - 1 entry
DSO exlploit - 5 entries I remove them, but each boot up they're still there!

Please help, ill attach an example of the error message.

This XP seems to be more trouble than any other OS! :beard:

Old 06-03-2004, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Seems now to only be crashing when i run BtBroadband, ill reinstall that but i wont keep my hopes up.

By the way pc is as follows -

P4 1.7GHZ
ASUS P4B Mobo
256SD Ram (another 256 on its way)
512DDR ram Ge Force FX5600
2x 40gig HDD's
DVD drive
CD-R drive
Floppy etc etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg problem1.jpg (41.5 KB, 13 views)

Old 06-03-2004, 10:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via ICQ to mdshort Send a message via AIM to mdshort Send a message via Yahoo to mdshort

What exactly does the error message look like?

I've got'en some bad advertisements which state you have the sasser worm. It's like a blue window, with a ok/cancel buttons. If this is what you are receiving ignore it and close the window.

I suggest using an Anti-Virus and updating your computer. It looks as if you are ignoring window's updates because even the most basic updates will protect your computer from the sasser worm.

Your error message is probably not of a virus's.

P.S.: Buy an Anti-Virus program, free one's don't always do the job.

Need a good cheap host? Click Here
Old 06-03-2004, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Pic 3
Old 06-03-2004, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

"I suggest using an Anti-Virus and updating your computer. It looks as if you are ignoring window's updates because even the most basic updates will protect your computer from the sasser worm."

I have every single update available! Ive already tried 2 online virus checkers and AVG. Still getting the message.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

how r the worms getting installed just by connecting to the internet, im confused

i connect to the internet all the time, sometimes having to disable my firewall to get some websites to work and i dont get them let alone 5 or whatever he said
MSI ms-6738
768mb ddr2100
Nvidia mx420 :(
60gig maxtor 7200rpm
Dual boot with Mandrake 10.0 and Win XP Pro sp2
Old 06-04-2004, 07:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks very much for the help guys. I have a copy of Linspire here, im sick and tired of formatting my pc due to XP's bugs and constant faults, Microsoft are a bunch of AH's IMO, so im trying to use other OS's. Wish me luck guys.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

How about go LINUX?

Closed Thread