major problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
TeH ViZarD

Send a message via AIM to PanzerKammander
Default major problems

I got the horrid "config updates: 3 of 3 0%" problem, and so I wanted to reinstall windows vista 32 bit, after setting boot device priority to cd/dvd rom, I went through the "windows loading files" thing, then the standard windows loading bar appeared, and I get BSOD.. I can get the tech data form it if anyone needs it, but at this point, I can't even reinstall vista.. safe mode doesnt work, nor does "last known good config" So Im kinda screwed. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: major problems

What update 3 of 3 0% issue? I have updated several PC's and i have not heard of this issue with Vista?

My guess is that you got your hands on a copy of SP1 that is NOT from Microsoft. Since they have not put it out. So my guess would be that this file has corrupted your system.

What does the BSOD say? There should be a Stop code and a line that is in all Caps that says something. Give us that info.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
TeH ViZarD

Send a message via AIM to PanzerKammander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
What update 3 of 3 0% issue? I have updated several PC's and i have not heard of this issue with Vista?

My guess is that you got your hands on a copy of SP1 that is NOT from Microsoft. Since they have not put it out. So my guess would be that this file has corrupted your system.

What does the BSOD say? There should be a Stop code and a line that is in all Caps that says something. Give us that info.
No no, not SP1 it was a standard KB (enter randomn numbers) security update from Microsoft. The BSOD was just random I guess, I tried a few times and later on it worked. I ended up using my Vista32 disc to do a startup repair on my vista install, and then rolling back with a recovery point and that worked.

The way Im guessing and heard, is that the one update says its done downloading, but isnt, so windows restarts and when it comes to install/configure the update at startup it cannot find it since there is nothing there, which makes windows go into the startup/shutdown sequence over and over.

Thanks for the reply though.
Old 02-16-2008, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

i'm always had successfuls ones....do you recall if you do anything funky when you do this? ie., install the kb, clear delete, cache files...
it could be that it pools things to configure in a temp file you and delete it
Closed Thread