Major Comp Prob! Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndTwenTy10

In Runtime
Hi all, im on my other pc right now, my main computer (one in my sig) got DESTROYED by a virus hotoffers.info.

I was on it and ran ad-aware and it found the 2 hijackers but couldent remove it...

I restarted my pc and now a error comes up

smc.exe
The instruction at "0x00536e1" refrenced memory "0x0000000" The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click Cancel to debug the program..

either one i click it shows loading windows xp and doesant go past that.. I can't log in. It just stays there. I tried safe mode and everything!

I have so much on this HDD and I didint back nothing up! I cant afford to lose all my info by formatting!!!!!!! IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO!? Please help I beg anyone that can! please! :( :( :( :( :( :(

smc.exe is part of the Sygate Personal Firewall.

smc.exe is located in "C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\".

http://www.kephyr.com/filedb/index.php?viewtopic=Smc.exe

you're prolly going to have to repair the installation if you cant get to the desktop. pop the cd in, goto install a new installation, it'll search for existing installations and prompt you to repair it. Go that route and afterwards you'll have to update windows again.

Remember that you haven't technically lost your information on that drive unless the drive is dead or you already reformatted it. It may be a bear to recover if it's heavily infected and can't be cleaned. You always have the option of taking that drive out and putting it into another machine long enough to copy your personal files to another hard disk or CDs or DVDs. The exception to that is anything you've encrypted using the Windows file system.

If you can boot into safe mode and/or safe mode with networking there is hope. Try the repair route like Dope Tech said.

csamuels said:
smc.exe is part of the Sygate Personal Firewall.

smc.exe is located in "C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\".

http://www.kephyr.com/filedb/index.php?viewtopic=Smc.exe

you're prolly going to have to repair the installation if you cant get to the desktop. pop the cd in, goto install a new installation, it'll search for existing installations and prompt you to repair it. Go that route and afterwards you'll have to update windows again.

Im not exactly sure what you want me to do? I can't log into my system, becuase the windows does not go past the screen to log into, I start my pc and it sais the error message, then stays at a screen WindowsXP with a blue backrounds

what cd do i pop in? I got sygate from the web, i have it on a disk but that doesant help since i cant log in..

I cant start in safemode, it loads files and shows a log then just freezes.. How would I repair it? I can't do anything.

I tried logging in in safe mode, i started in safe mode and it doesant load the sygate error, but it still doesant go past the Windows XP screen with the blue backrounds, it just stays there and does nothing.. Maybe the virus delted something from the registry that windows needs to load the log in screen or something...I dont know but I cant figure anything out....

I too would reccomend repairing the installation...Pop in the Windows XP installation CD, then boot from it...then as someone mentioned ^^^

"you're prolly going to have to repair the installation if you cant get to the desktop. pop the cd in, goto install a new installation, it'll search for existing installations and prompt you to repair it. Go that route and afterwards you'll have to update windows again."

Repairing the install of windows is probably the best solution, as mentioned above.
However, if you have files on the drive that really are important to you, then I would recommend the following :
Before doing the repair :

1. Take drive out of machine & install it in the system you are currently using. Make sure you set it as a slave in the working system so that it boots from the working drive.
(This will work providing that current system is also XP or knackered drive isn't NTFS formatted.)

2. Make sure both drives are detected in Bios

3. Boot to windows in SAFE MODE

4. copy ONLY your own data etc from the knackered drive to the working (C:) drive.

5. Switch off machine & return the drive to it's original PC (remember to set it back to master)

6. Now, boot from XP CD & carry out the repair install.

This way, if during the repair everything goes tits up, your work etc will be safe on the other machine

so wil I be losing everything on the drive when i repair? Wont the virus still be there? I might as well just format no...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom