Mailbox database failed to mount

JobDouglas

Banned
I have an Exchange Server 2007 that suffered a hard shutdown. When I brought it back up I'm getting a "Failed to mount database 'Mailbox Database'" error. Specifically:
"Exchange is unable to mount the database that you specified. Specified database: <my Exchange Server>\First Storage Group\Mailbox Database; Error code: MapiExceptioinCallFailed: unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-501)
If I do a search on the error code 80004005 I'm told to check the rights of the database subdirectory. They are as they should be according to Microsoft. If I add the ec=-501 I don't get any results at all.
Using the Database Troubleshooter tool it indicates that Exchange has problems with the domain server. I haven't really explored that option to this point because it seems unlikely. I've run the Database Repair tool and it doesn't come back and report any errors but I still can't mount the database.
Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I have an Exchange Server 2007 that suffered a hard shutdown. When I brought it back up I'm getting a "Failed to mount database 'Mailbox Database'" error. Specifically:
"Exchange is unable to mount the database that you specified. Specified database: <my Exchange Server>\First Storage Group\Mailbox Database; Error code: MapiExceptioinCallFailed: unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=-501)
If I do a search on the error code 80004005 I'm told to check the rights of the database subdirectory. They are as they should be according to Microsoft. If I add the ec=-501 I don't get any results at all.
Using the Database Troubleshooter tool it indicates that Exchange has problems with the domain server. I haven't really explored that option to this point because it seems unlikely. I've run the Database Repair tool and it doesn't come back and report any errors but I still can't mount the database.
Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Found these steps to try,

I think your DB is in a bad state as it didn't shutdown correctly.

http://msexchangeguru.com/2009/07/12/exchange-database-recovery-using-eseutil-commands/

Hope that helps or gives you a step in the right direction. :cool:

Last edited:
Are you positive the disk isn't out of space ?, usually if it is you get corresponding errors about low disk space, but I have recently had similar errors with no mention of low disk space, only to find the disk that the log files are stored on is full. I just turned on circlicar log file writing and that solved it.

Are you positive the disk isn't out of space ?, usually if it is you get corresponding errors about low disk space, but I have recently had similar errors with no mention of low disk space, only to find the disk that the log files are stored on is full. I just turned on circlicar log file writing and that solved it.

The server shutdown unexpected... Its more likely a corrupted db.. as it cannot mount.

If it just crashed then that could be possible.

Back
Top Bottom