Magview 19" CRT drivers? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2006, 10:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Techie

Warez, I grabbed the file and want to give it a shot, however, I did something and I can't figure out how to fix it.

I tried to set the refresh rate to 85, I removed the check for "hide modes this monitor cannot use" and, of course, I have the black screen. I'm in safe mode now but I can't see any options for how to fix it. I tried hitting F8 and selecting the last known good configuration but since it still boots it considers the current 85hz good. My last system restore is from a couple thousand years ago.

Only other thing I can think of is deleting my videocard drivers and rebooting but not sure if that will do it either.

This is what I get for not waiting to hear back from you

Edited: under advanced/monitor in safe mode the Properties Tab is greyed out. I'm using admin mode.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

I wouyld try to delete the vc drivers first then try it again

Old 05-23-2006, 11:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ok, I got back into XP and changed the refresh.

When I install the drivers it does not show my monitor in the list, it defaults to a 986FS.

This seems to work, and at 1024x768 I can get a decent looking screen at 85hz. If I try to do 1280x1024, the highest refresh is 75hz and the screen gets ugly with a large grey shadow over about 1.5" of the left margin of the screen.

Is this because I'm not using the correct driver for the monitor? I can deal with the 1024x768, but is it unsafe to use the 986FS driver for this VM900e?

Edit: Btw, changing refresh rate changes the whole screen resoution which I've never seen happen before with my other monitors.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

Refresh rate basically makes the monitor easy to stare it.
60Hz is a strobe light, and over 75Hz is very smooth.

Most 17" monitors have a native resolution of 1024*768 at 85Hz. That is the safest resolution to have the monitor at without it looking distorted/blurry, etc.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Super Techie

Ah, ok. I thought my previous 19" was 1280x1024 at 85hz. Everything looks so big at 1024x768 Big, but still easily readable. At 1280x1024 at 75hz the screen is oogly. Good enough, I'll stick with 1024x768 until I get a new monitor.

Thanks for the help guys!

Closed Thread